1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

fleshing bobcat after krowtan

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by mclseed, Jan 24, 2007.

1. mclseed

mclseed New Member

What methods do es everyone use for final fleshing of bobcat after krowtan. I have done several but the skin is so thin when I use my wheel it is easy to cut holes in it. I was wondering what else might be useful. Thanks.

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

No matter what method of tanning you choose a wire wheel is great to remove the meat and the thin layer of membrane. If you putting holes in you hide then you pressing it way to hard for this to happen. The only other way is use a skife knife.

3. trapperr

trapperr New Member

after crowtann there show be very little fleshing to be done on a bobcat, only the lips should need attention & i do that with a dremel tool and a small grinding stone

4. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

rotary knife

5. hunterray2002

hunterray2002 http://www.finandfoto.com

wirehweel, As far as Bobcat hides go. Kinda sounds to me as if you are presing the hide into the wheel a bit to hard and not keeping it moving side to side.

I do all my fleshing with the wire wheel only on a bit larger scale .3/4hp benchgrinder. variable speed. when doing thinner hides its a simple touch of the knob and slower speed and a brass wirewheel.

6. If you flesh it out real good you should only have to thin the head, and back end,(anus) body and legs should be thin enough