1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Silicon Caulk & Clear resin

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by Cripplecreek, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Is there any problem pouring resin over a layer of silicon caulk? I'm wanting to do this, but wasn't sure if the caulk would cause problems with the resin curing.

2. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

If the caulk is cured, the only problem may be the two splitting apart later. Might help if you explain what your trying to do a little bit.

3. I've got a piece of driftwood with a pintail mounted on it. I want to attach it to a square base. I was planning on mixing the caulk with artificial snow to make ice. I'm wanting to replicate a frozen pond with the driftwood sticking up through the ice. The mix would be spread around to make the ice. I was thinking then about putting a thin layer of clear resin over it.

4. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

I think that should be OK. I would try a small test sample first, just to make sure it does and it is what you want.

5. Thanks for the help. I'm still not positive what I'm going to do. I'm leaning towards soaking cotton in resin & spreading it out. I tried some last night & it seemed to be a closer match to the kind of ice I'm trying to replicate.

6. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

Trial and error, the only way to go. Good luck and show us some pics of the outcome.

7. I ended up going with the resin & cotton. I coated it with Envirotex afterwards. I wanted a whitish ice with no snow. It turned out about like I wanted it. Thanks for helping me think through this. I tested the caulk mix & really wasn't very happy with it. Once I put some resin over it, the resin lifted off too easily.

[​IMG]

8. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

Looks good! Thanks for the update.

9. DropTine

DropTine DSCN0137.JPG

That turned out nice. Have to jot that down. Thanks Mark

10. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

It looks really nice.

11. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Did you know that you can mix talcum powder with Envirotex and pour it out on a layer of plastic wrap?
    The next day you can cut up your "ice" with scissors and "float" it on top of already set clear resin with just a thin layer of new resin to make it stick.
    If you are lucky you can ever trap some air bubbles under it. It lucks like very realistic just-frozen and then broken thin ice.

12. Nancy,
    Are you adding a lot of talcum powder?

13. wow that came out fantastic!!!! thanks for posting up your thought process on this. I've used silicone caulk to make molds to pour resin into... so yeah, it doesn't really stick like how'd you want, as you obviously already figured out. :)