1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Week in Fish Pictures" ~Year 3~ Week # 39

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Rick Krane, Jun 29, 2009.

1. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

Dave!!!! You are the Tiger Woods of coldwater fish. Nice Silver my friend.

2. KAMoHunter

KAMoHunter Proud member of the WVTA

wicked looking fish folks. im workin on a very time consuming piece hope to get it done soon. i'll post pics when i am done. 27" steelhead with a rather elaborate base. anywho great work and kep it coming.

3. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

i recently spent fathers day with my 12 yr old son painting his 2nd fish, which is a repaint of his first that we posted a few weeks back, he competed at the Arkansas show and took a blue ribbon with it, but wanted to redo it based on his critique from Ken Bauman, so on fathers day i sat out in the shop and spent the day with my son watching him redo his competition fish, he took it to the Oklahoma show and earned another blue ribbon with it, but broke the fin off leaving the hotel sunday, so i will see to it that he gets another fin and gets it fixed LOL as he plans to take it to missouri along with a snake he is doing at this time, its a 46" prarie rattler he got at the oklahoma show.

[​IMG]

next is a fish i posted a month or so ago, that i made some changes to and competed at arkansas and oklahoma as well. first photo a peoples choice.

[​IMG]

2nd pic BOC at oklahoma

[​IMG]

i have never won a thing in my life with taxidermy, so this really came as a shock to me, and only lites a bigger fire in me to take it to the next level, and each of you sharing your work here every week definitely does that.

4. Nice job this week Dave! Your the man! Oh wait I think I posted that last week or the week before, or maybe everytime I see your fish. LOL Thanks for the comments for this week and last.

Josh nice job on both fish buddy!

Nice work from all this week lets keep em coming!!!!!!!

5. bnoody

bnoody Member

Here is a replica brook trout I just finished for a friend, it is a lake country replica. This was to replace a large brook trout lost in a fire that my friends father caught back in the 1950's. He wanted a male in full spawning colors. This was also my first attempt at painting my own eyes.

I want to thank Rick Krane for a great DVD on painting brook trout, I applied some new techniques learned from his DVD on this one.

[​IMG]

and a close up of the head

[​IMG]

6. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

Brian Noody, i like the fish AND the presentation, great job man.

7. 27" high country cutt on an Arp blank.

[​IMG]

8. urmrk402

urmrk402 Member

Here are three 17 lb striped bass replicas I did for a local guide on Lake Texoma this week. I really enjoy painting these fish, and as always learned something from this forum.

Mr. Jones, your stripers are always a work of art. I only wish i could make the same commitment to seek out the discipline you obtained. I must compliment Mr. Krane on being such a excellent instructor, and such a positive influence in this industry.

Thanks again to all who contribute here, encourage others , and share your knowledge.

On these fish I used the antiquing method w/ black & Phthalo blue, pearl-x powders, and painted the mirrors w/ silver pearl.

Mark Grace
    Pottsboro Texas

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Just finished this 37" Blacktip

Attached Files:

10. gus

gus New Member

Here's a 25" Hybrid just compleated.

[​IMG]

11. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Mr. Noody, that is one purdy fish!!! Did you make the marble? It looks good too. I like the stripers, the wiper, that cutt is sweeeet! Everybody's fish look fantastic. Here is another bass from me. Now I'm out of fish to do... :( Other than a fairly large project that might take me a while.

...oh, and yes, that is a Still Life Lens, the only eyes I ever use.

Attached Files:

12. RIVERFISH

RIVERFISH New Member

You are all amazing, but what is the whole "Black forest eyes" vs Still life eyes" thing... All i see from one guy is blank lenses for sale and the other has painted eyes and lenses but they are very different with the recessed pupil anf the pupil you have to draw in. I personally couldn't draw a pupil to save my life, everybody argues over them like they are fighting of a bar of Gold. They both look great and i stand in awe of all your fish Josh, John,Travis,Kevin, Joey, Dave, Denny, Russ, Brian, and everybody i missed.

13. bnoody

bnoody Member

Thanks for the positive comments guys. Lots of great work by everyone this week.

Cole, I did make the marble and the rocks in this scene, both were pretty easy. The marble is high density particle board sealed and then painted gloss black. I then sometimes apply a webbing spray if I want a bolder look and follow it with a sponge and add a dark gray in this case. The final touch is too seal it with a gloss lacquer. I have been making a lot of these lately and have been able to get some interesting affects.

The rocks are foam covered with a rock mix and then stained with paint and polished to get the affect I was looking for.

14. giffdog

giffdog New Member

first smallie replica.....nice fish everyone.

Attached Files:

15. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Cole,......

:)

:)

Nice as usual.

Kerby...

16. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Coles a hack. without photo shop he has nothing!!!!

HAHAHA.

His work is always "soft". Light colored, and very convincing. He is a half decent guy as well.

Gud job buddy.

17. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

Some awfully nice looking fish this week by everyone. The striper and wipers are all great . As usual Josh, Cole, Dave, and Jeff S. all put out outstanding work.

I apologize in advance for the presentation on these. We are under the gun to get these fish boxed and shipped.

A 50" Jersey skin mount striper. Carved body. Sand eel chaser is being set up ;)

[​IMG]

52" Cape Cod Striper skin mount

[​IMG]

Cutthroat skin mount

[​IMG]

White Crappie skin mount. This fish had very dark markings.

[​IMG]

And a 46" Lake St Clair muskey skin mount. This fish came in as a wholesale job rolled up in a bag skinned...had to free form the carved body. For those not familiar with St Clair muskeys, they have a unique color scheme unique to that lake.

[​IMG]

18. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

Extremely nice fish Aaron. A guy actually kept a muskie for a skin mount? Wow! Our kinda guy...eh? [​IMG]

19. Jeff Lumsden

Jeff Lumsden Well-Known Member

Riverfish,

Typically this isn't the thread for much conversations. It's about everyone's fish work for the week and positive input about the same. But if I could answer you in a positive nut shell.

My lenes offer the opportunity to produce the most realistic fish eyes possible to achieve to date, like have been displayed here in this thread, but some have a problem with that analogy.

Buy what ever fish eye you like, it's all good,

Jeff

20. UFD

UFD New Member

Jeff S, sweet lookin' Rainbow! Kevin, super job making that blank look so good. Cole, that fin movement you have on your Largemouth is awesome! Aaron, nice batch of fish - that is some pretty looking money! ;)

Chad, Kerby, Joey, Randy, Gus, and Travis - thanks for your positive words, I'm glad you guys liked the Coho.

Well, here is an 8 lb Rainbow restoration project that I finished up today. The fish was caught in 1946 out of a lake near me, and had certainly seen better days, although for a mount done in 1946 (by Jonas Brothers in Seattle I believe) it was actually a fairly decent representation. The body was made from plywood cut to shape and then covered in clay which also seemed to be a very good hide paste as there was little to no drumming present, and the backside was completely flat from the lower piece of plywood. The adipose fin had also been carved out of a what appeared to be basswood. There was actually a photo of the catch in the Tacoma newspaper at the time with an interesting story behind the fish, which was neat because they gave me a photocopy of it for posterity. I was anxious to tear into it and didn't get a "before" pic, but I did take a picture of it before I painted it showing the addition of the cast fins with the originals that I cut off and the minor filling I did to some of the anatomical glitches of the original mount. The lower areas of the head were very shrunken and leaching oil which required extensive cleaning and rebuilding, but the top was okay, and I also decided to leave the original glass eye in place just for history's sake. The scales on the body resembled a cheese-grater and were quite a bugger to tame into laying down. For painting I decided that a basic airbrush scheme would be fine since the nostalgic nature of the mount wouldn't require the extensive painting that I normally do...

Attached Files: