1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

my aquarium pics

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by GBRUCH, Sep 17, 2006.

1. GBRUCH

GBRUCH "I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

I am hopefull the smally will live for a while but I may release him soon to keep some trout over the winter. This is a new venture for me but I learned this you can't beat the refernce and knowledge gained from the tank.

2. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Frank,

Thanks for the referral but I don't know squat about aquariums. All my pets are outside! ;)

3. Really nice pics!!!!!! Alot to gain from in these., I espeacially liked the close ups of the anal fin/back portion of fish aswell as the head on shot of the markings giong into the head area. THANKS! makes me want to sell all my exotics and fill the 125 with fresh water game fish.It,s got to be a hassle cleaning though as big fish make big poop! LOL

4. B.Fish

B.Fish Good excuse not to get my work done!

Oh, alright Gary....... The photos have definitely motivated me into putting my tank in my shop. Cool pictures. Thanks for sharing.

5. Andrew

Andrew New Member

LOL getting my tank this weekend after the get away with the wife. Been married 10 years today. I have a feeling my tank will be a Koi tank last I knew Michigan we cant have game fish in a tank.
    Hey Bill only problem I would have with the tank in my work area is watching them all day.Btw did ya get my last emails? Take care ppl will be home Monday.

6. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Personally I'd have gamefish in a tank in the house whether it was legal or not. What are the chances a conservation officer is going to be snooping through your house anyway. Of course unless one has to go through your house to get to the shop.

7. crankin

crankin New Member

WI
    in WI you cant have gamefish in an aquarium either but if you purchase them from a fish farm like Cecil then you can have them as long as you have the paperwork, and around here they sell walleye, lm bass, sm bass, northern, muskie, sturgeon, and bluegills at the fish stores you just are suppose to keep the receipt incase a warden was to ever come by they just cant be from public waters

8. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Meet Ralph, my future reference subject. He's not very good reference yet, except behavior, he's only 3 inches long. He's already the boss over his "siblings" who will eventually be released into a stock tank. (hope this works, never posted a pic before)

9. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

In Illinois here I asked a CPO when I was inspected this Spring. He said that as long as I have a valid fishing license I can keep certain species in my tank if harvested legally - even from public waters. I have to adhere to size limits of course. LM's, BG's and Crappies were fine to have because there is no statewide size limit.

Sidenote, he said that my personal specimens in my freezers I need to show a current fishing license. And IF he really wanted to be technical, I would have to save my licenses for each and every year corresponding with my personal logbooks/specimens. BUT, he didn't make me jump through hoops on that one. He was actually pretty cool. He just made sure I had everything logged. No more no less. And I passed with flying colors...

10. bigfish90

bigfish90 New Member

I have kept bass etc. in tanks for 30 years. You can learn so much by watching them. I keep minnows right in the tanks with them. The fish will not pay any attention to the minnows until the switch is flipped and its time to feed. Even the minnows start getting nervous just before the fish start feeding. When they are done everything goes back to normal and the remaining minnows can swim right in front of the fish like nothing ever happened. If you watch enough you will start to notice a slight change in color and markings right before the feeding begins.

I had one LM Bass for 7 years and it only got to a few pounds, the size of the tank sort of keeps the fish from getting to big.

11. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Actually according to a new text I have which discusses that, it's now believed it has more to due with unionzied ammonia in the tank water which goes up as the fish gets larger and produces more waste products. Once the ammonia byproducts reach a certain level it limits growth. Still related to tank size but more on water quality vs. the actual dimensions of the tank. Like I said I don't have much experience raising fish in tanks but this is stated in the text. I'd be glad to quote it for you. You can change the water but at some point the fish reaches a size where the ammonia level is critical.

12. Becky P

Cecil, if you do regular partial water changes (like you're suppose to) that should slow the ammonia impact, wouldn't you think? I've had fish to outgrow tanks before, esp. oscars and cats, (they really should have been in a bigger tank anyway), maybe that's why, I do, do my water changes regularly. Growing up, I was always told that the fish will grow to the size of the tank and quit. That never really worked for me, they always seemed to need a bigger tank. That may very well be the reason.
    I had decided that I would quit keeping the larger fish and then what do I do, but go out and buy bass. (Guess I should have my head examined. LOL)

Bigfish90, what size tank did you keep that LM in?

13. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Yes that backs up my point. It's a water quality issue vs. just the tank size. However there is a limit to how many water changes you can make. You're better off having a biofilter and increasing the size of your biofilter along with some water changes. Modern RAS's (Recircullating Aquaculture Systems) are a good example of how if you maintain the water quality growth is no hindered by tank size. I'ved seen fish in some of these tanks at densities that don't look like they have room to swim.

14. Becky P

I usually run an undergravel filter and power filter. Cover it all that way - bio, mechanical, and chemical plus regular water changes.

15. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

And that explains why your fish outgrow their tanks. Good water quality.

16. bigfish90

bigfish90 New Member

Cecil

You may have something there. That 7 year old 2 pound bass was some years ago,kept in a regular 50 gal set up and filter. The fish I keep now are in a setup that I empty ever year winter and fill with fresh fish every spring. Its a home made set of glass fronted tanks that I circulate freshwater through.(about 500 gal) That water source freezes in the winter and I also go to FL in the winter.(so I don't freeze ;D)