1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

feathers that will not lay in place

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by jim gibson, Sep 17, 2006.

1. jim gibson

jim gibson Guest

I was mounting a lesserprairie chicken for a friend of mine when I got a call that mt son had been killed when I got back home the bird had set up but several feathers are out of place how could I get them set to where they need to be. Could I spray them with something reset them than let them dry again. This is for a very good friend who I owe alot to so I need to do a good job or does anyone have aa male lesser chicken for sale mounted or just the pelt frozen or what ever thanks

2. mrdux

mrdux Member

Jim, given your circumstances I would think the bird would be the last thing on ones mind. I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

You might be able to rehydrate the trouble area to rework it if you didn't use caulk or paste under the skin. I would take a hypodermic and inject just enough water under the skin to get it pliable then try moving the feathers. I have never found a way to get trouble feathers to lay down by applying anything to them directly.

3. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Sorry for your loss. Your friend should understand. If wetting the skin doesn't work, if it's only a couple, just pluck 'em.

4. BeckyBird

BeckyBird My Baby Bluebirds

What is this? Please tell me this is all a joke. There is no way on earth that you could worry about some stupid bird, after finding out your son was killed. This cannot be a real post.

5. Jims Wildlife Studio

Jims Wildlife Studio Full Time PA Taxidermist

Like Becky said, I hope this is not real. If so I am very sorry for your loss. That bird would be the last thing on my mind. When you get a chance try steaming the feather's should do the trick.
    Good Luck, Jim