1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Basic Steps to Remove Ear Cartilage

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Wayne R, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

For those that are unsure as to how to remove the cartilage the next series of photos will hopefully shed some light.
    The ear is turn inside out, right out to the edges of the ear.

[​IMG]

Take the ear and fold it somewhere around the 1/2 way point.

[​IMG]

A scalpel is used the score or cut through the cartilage along the fold. Cut very gently trying to just cut the cartilage and not the skin on the other side of the cartilage.

[​IMG]

Using your thumb nails start prying the cartilage away from the skin of the inner ear.

[​IMG]

Now just continue on to the tip of the ear, and remove that part of the cartilage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now it's time to remove the bottom half of the cartilage using the same steps to remove the top half. Take your time and let your thumb nails do the work. If fur is starting to get pulled through the skin go slower and maybe touch it with the scalpel blade to help it along. Here is the bottom half being removed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now we are at the earbutt. I cut the cartilage off at this point. I either clean up the earbutt removing the junk that is attached and thin the areas where the cartilage is thick to use with earliners requiring the earbutt left in, OR cut this part off later if you have an earliner with the inner earbutt detail built into the earliner.

[​IMG]

Here is the cartilage in two pieces along side the ear it was removed from.

[​IMG]

2. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

nice job Wayne, this should help a LOT of newbies out !!!

3. Thanks! VERY helpful! Just what I need to start my deer! :)

4. Wayne R

Bobbi and Leslie, thanks. If it helps anyone great.

5. This may sound like a dumb question, but is this done before or after the tanning process? Thanks!

6. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

I usually wait till after tanning...seems the ear skin is a little harder to tear after it's been tanned, but thats just me.

7. Roger E

Roger E Member

MT
    Looks tanned to me...at the least, looks pickled.

8. Wayne R

The cape was tanned. I do it the same way Bobbi said she does her's. I prefer a tanned cape when removing the cartilage. The ear has already been turned before going out to the tannery, but not right out to the edge. I finish turning it to the edge after it is tanned, and before taking the cartilage out. There is less of a chance of the ears getting blown out at the tannery, if you leave just a bit not turned all the way.

9. Thanks. Thought it looked tanned in the pics, but wanted to make sure.