1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

making a fleshing beam

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by joeuhuh, Jul 3, 2009.

1. joeuhuh

joeuhuh New Member

was just wondering if i go to lowes or home depot what would be best wood to make a fleshing beam out of and after i hshape it what kind if any finish to put on the bare wood to keep it lookin purty and stank free
    (gettin dakota this month so wil be fleshing some green hides that have been sittin in freezer so i wil finaly be makin a beam )

thanks joe

2. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

The best ones are made of clear hardwood like beech. You would be ahead of the game to buy one from a trapper supply dealer.

3. SR1

SR1 Divorces cost so much cause they are worth it!!!!!

WNY
    I 2nd that I bought mine at a trapping convention yrs ago when I was doing alot of trapping.

4. I am a trapper and for 25 years have used a 2x6 and 2x8 spruce cut and sanded to shape. Make sure there are no knots on the working end of the beam. For a coating I used years ago but I am due again. Fiber glass resin and hardener( no cloth). Couple coats

5. You can also use a PVC pipe as a fleshing beam. Easy clean up and different sizes for different critters. Always scrap pipe at any construction site.

6. yeh, the pvc is go i reckon. i havnt looked back since go with it

7. Lenny

Lenny New Member

If you go with pvc split it in half.

8. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I like a wooden beam...so I can stab an ice pick or two into it to hold a hide just the way I want it if it needs stabilizing. Mine is made from a 6" poplar tree that I de-barked, then shaped to suit me...it's been around a long time.

9. Marc A

Marc A Beaver Creek Taxidermy

Joe, there were some post on here a while back showing how to make the PVC beam. I use both. I use a wood beam inside and PVC outside with my pressure washer.

10. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

Dont have to treat with anything. You'll be getting plenty of fat/grease on it.....great sealing material!