1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hey Yeager...Here's your snake...

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by joeym, Jul 7, 2009.

1. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

now, what the hell is it? Please don't tell me it's poisonious...I was way to close to that booger putting it in a Zip Lok bag!

[​IMG]

2. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

That's a copperhead Joey! :eek: send it on! Tell MP it's a harmless watersnake though. ;D

3. joeym

Holy toledo...I think I'm gonna faint! It offered no resistance when I captured it...I used a set of tongs about 2 feet long...it never coiled up to strike.

4. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

It must of thought you were gonna give it a nice new home or something. :D They normally don't get aggressive until you start beating the $h!t out of them. ::) :D How long did you say it was?

5. joeym

I'm gonna guess about 2 feet.

6. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Yep, that's about the average on most copperheads. ;) Just remember that "hour glass" pattern on that snake and you'll always know what it is. That is actually a southern copperhead, you can tell by the "hour glasses" not meeting at the top of the snake. ;)

7. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

I think I'm gonna faint!

ROTFLMAO!!!! Look on the bright side , you didn't get bit.

8. joeym

jasonb...I classify snakes four ways...big 'uns, little'uns, live ones, and dead ones. The only ones I've taken in to mount are timber rattlers. That snakes head didn't look near that big when I bagged it...I ain't doing that no more!

9. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

Joey we have all had those times when we are thankful that ignoance is bliss, I know I have and I think you just did to. It should make a very pretty mount.

10. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Ah come on Joey! you did just fine, ::) :D

11. AUplantman

AUplantman New Member

HAHAHA!! ROTFLMAO!! I dont know what is funnier, Joey catching a poisionous snake, and not knowing, or Michael P driving a 1/2 frozen copperhead to Huntsville!!! :D :D Cant wait to hear "The Rest of the Story"!!

12. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Joey, if it makes you feel any better, I've wrangled 4 snakes in 4 days and one was 6'+ (nonpoisonous though, but still SNAKES). Maybe by the time I get that whatever kind of snake that is from Jeremy for the challenge, maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to skin it. Not holding my breath though.

13. Lenny

Lenny New Member

Joey turn him loose.............. in the freezer.

14. joeym

That poisonous little viper is in Vineland, Alabama tonight....froze solid as a Popsicle....I still shiver at the thought of being bitten by that little demon!

15. CarlScroggins

CarlScroggins Oct. 25 1985...It was a good day.

Does this mean that they are still going to have a snake seminar? I thought it was canceled.

16. mrdux

mrdux Member

joeym, you done good. You don't worry about what could have or should have happened. You got the job done and didn't lose any body parts, that's all that matters. I'm going to say that copperhead was close to shedding or it is frosted over in the photo. Some I see here are as bright as a new penny. They are a beautiful snake. That's one nice thing about freeze drying a snake. In my experience they shed the old scales off and you have a new. bright skin when they come out of the drier. I had a 32" copperhead brought in last fall. The lady was delivering it for her grandson and it was "dead". It was in her prized tupperware container. When I went to open the container to put it into a plastic bag, the "dead" snake coiled back and tried to strike me. I tried to play it cool and not let her know that the "dead"snake that she had just delivered in her prized tupperware container in her prized car was not the least bit dead after all. It didn't work as she saw the whole deal and they way my wife reacted to the snake striking at me. We got a good laugh about it and her 30 something grandson got a good ass -eating when she got home.

17. joeym

mrdux:

That is frost on the snake...probably came from me shivering about the chances of getting bit by that asp!

18. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Snake arrived in excellent condition Joey! via Schalbach Carriers. :D

19. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

thats funny stuff right there LMAO a copperhead, i thought EVERYONE knew what those looked like :D ;D

I still say you shoulda unzipped the ziplock just a "tad" for the ride down ;D