1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What's this geezer then?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Pye, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Pye

Pye Too orangy for crows

Is it a horse? I found him in Wales.

Attached Files:

2. Pye

Pye Too orangy for crows

There's another pic. I'd almost forgot I had him. I only have bird skeletons and small mammals so I was never too sure what it was.

Attached Files:

3. extremebison

extremebison New Member

My guess yes.

4. extremebison

extremebison New Member

you got a pic from the top, just looking at references

5. could be a domestic hog??
    ORG

6. those teeth aren't from a canine. too flat, even for canine molars.

7. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Looks to be a horse of course. :) Very old one looking at the wear on those molars. Too bad the front teeth weren't there. You could come very close to pinpointing the age by looking at them.

8. Pye

Pye Too orangy for crows

Nice. I might bring him into the University at some stage and see if I can get an age. I do have a couple of front teeth hanging about that I picked up with it. Unfortunately couldn't find much else.

Thanks a million folks! =)

9. AH7

AH7 New Member

Sea Wolf - In general you are always spot-on, but this time you missed it by 180-degrees: It's not an old one - it's a very young one! Notice all the unfused sutures (why the top incisors are gone - the premaxilla is missing), and note that the last molars haven't erupted. Cool skull. Definitely a horse-ish thing (genus Equus) - if not a horse than a mule or donkey. Probably not a zebra roaming Wales.

10. Sea Wolf

I did notice that ... but .. attributed it to just damage from laying around in the weather and falling apart and being what looked like chewed on by something. I was sort of looking at the wear on the lower molars but the front teeth are the give away. I only have a mini horse skull to compare it to. :)

11. Looks like a lot of the bone is notfully fused as an adult also.

12. Sea Wolf

Yep. That's what he said :)

13. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

Did I miss something? Are dogs realated to pigs? ;D ;D LOL!!