1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wife of taxidermist needs advice

Discussion in 'Training' started by marys, Jul 11, 2009.

1. marys

marys New Member

My husband suffered a stroke on Monday of this week. His recovery is anticipated to take 6 months to a year. Our taxidermy business of 29+ years is a major concern. We are in Ohio. Does anyone have any advice for me regarding the following: We've considered selling the business -- how does one price the value of the business only? We would prefer to keep the building and rent it, as it will be free and clear in 2 months. We have a well established business with many customers, generally we have an 8-18 month backlog of work. Does it seem wiser to hire a skilled taxidermist (money, of course, is my concern)? Or are we better off getting an apprentice to come in and learn our ways to eventually take over the business. Do we sell? We want to be able to turn out the same quality of work once another taxidermist is doing the work. My husband is going to need at least a couple of weeks of rehab before he can even return to the shop. His mind is clear and he remembers everything regarding the business and how to do everything. I am active in the business (although it's shut down this week and probably next). I am the "grunt", can do all skinning, fleshing, sewing, office work, organizing -- but I don't have "the gift". And I can't alter forms at all. My husband is the artist. Do I farm out the finish work, such as fish painting? I'll stress again that we are very particular about the work we turn out. If anyone has been faced with a similar issue, I sure would appreciate hearing from how you handled it. Thanks so much! I'm a little frantic at this point.

Update--- thanks to all who have replied. There are some very helpful suggestions that I am going to consider. I still would like to see if someone knows how to price a taxidermy business for sale, though.

2. Sorry to hear about your husband, hopefully he makes a full recovery. In the mean time I would hire someone to come in and finish the mounts. There are many good taxi's looking for work right now. Obviously you aren't going to making a whole lot off the mounts but it should keep the business a float until you're husband is calable of coming back to work. I would also entertain selling the business but my first concern (business wise) would be to get you customers work done. Good luck.

3. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

It sounds to me like you are getting way ahead of yourself at this point. You husband is doing well from your description and it occurred less than a week ago. Give it a few weeks to see how he progresses. Contact a few of his friends in the business and see if they could help with some of the immediate needs, with mounts that absolutely have to be finished soon. Most clients are very understanding with this sort of thing. After all, hunting and fishing demand patience to begin with. It is well and good to weigh your options at this point, but don't be hasty in making any decisions that you may regret.

4. Donna1

Donna1 June 1965 Panama

PM sent
    My father is a taxidermist as well....and had a very hard time a couple years ago dealing with Chemo due to colon cancer. His wife (my good friend) wrote letters out to all his clients explaining the situation, asked for prayers and patience, that as soon as dad could he would get their game mounted and back to them. Well it took him a while, from being exhausted and dealing with the extreme nerve sensitivity in his hands as well as his whole body. Today, my dad is 100% cancer free, working hard, and his wife(my friend) has learned to mount deer alongside him. He's 72.
    I understand you're sorrow and anxiety, but be honest with his clients. If any of them are jerks...give 'em their game back...you don't need 'em anyway!

5. Matt

Matt Active Member

Pm sent, thank you.

6. We will keep you in our prayers.

7. moongast01

moongast01 My first love is God my second is My Wife....

Really hope every things works out and he recovers quick.
    Keeping you in our prayers

8. Dan

Dan One Year Old Already!

Rick Carter had an article in one of the magazines a while back about selling a taxidermy business. I'll see if I can find it. In the meantime, maybe someone can remember when the article was.

9. Patrick J

Patrick J You've got me mistaken for someone else

As far as my knowledge goes with business values, the banks will look at the net profits for a 2 to 5 recent year period. Once they establish how much money a business can make they will triple the yearly net profit to come up with an appraised value. Hard to sell anything right now for an appraised value though

10. gab

gab Active Member

one good thing about this economy is there are alot of talented people in need of work.conracting out should be a good solution.have someone pickup and deliver,stay in control of everything in the shop

11. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

I know that at the present time I myself am out of work and willing to help anyone out untill September 1st(that's when my hunting season starts) So if you need any help PM me here.

12. BVanKirk

BVanKirk package deal

hope everything works out, good vibes sent

13. Let me know if I can help you out with some fish work. I'm in East Lansing MI...........

14. Sound advice. Wish you both my best!