1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

taxidermy insurance claim ?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by ljones, Jul 12, 2009.

1. ljones

ljones 1994 wasco award winner

have any of you guys had to file a claim with your business insurance for a loss due to fire or freezer going out or whatever where you lost customer skins and what was the out come as far as the insurance paying out i have a business policy thru Zurich they cant seem to give me an answer , all they say is they would have a hard time putting a value on trophies which probley means they wouldnt pay crap if i had a claim

2. mrdux

mrdux Member

Unless you have a SPECIFIC taxidermy policy or a rider on your policy to cover the freezers, etc., you are in a bad situation. I lost a freezer to the ice storm here in Feb and my insurance company didn't know who I was when it came time to file a claim. Even though I had a what I thought was solid business policy, it didn't cover one $.01 of my freezer loss. Luckily the loss was replaceable and mostly my stuff anyway. As soon as I calmed down and quit thinking about going postal on my agent, I started looking for additional coverage with a different company.

3. ljones

mrdux did you find a company that would add a freezer contents rider, if so what the name of them

4. damonkus

damonkus Member

Try Hartford and ask them about their super stretch policy

5. Richard B

Richard B Well-Known Member

ljones, you might try American Insurance Alliance.
    They had a booth at the Texas show and have insurance programs designed just for taxidermists.
    Jerry Officer 636-464-9200

6. mrdux

mrdux Member

I was able to get KY Farm Bureau to add the freezers and a couple of other business items to my policy. The extras were about $400/yr. They were the company that I had all my insurance with prior and they were the only one's I thought I could afford after the ice storm and the major hit it caused to my taxidermy and snow goose outfitting businesses. I've been extremely upset that my agent had not done a policy review in the last 5 years and discovered lacking coverage in my policy. I guess it was keeping him from his Corvette, BMW and golf game. Maybe it's totally my responsibility to read every word of the policy but when starting out in a new business, I tend to trust people at their word when I tell them what my business does and what is important to me as a customer. Hard lesson learned that won't happen again!

I talked to a fellow at the WTC and NTA who represents a company, American Insurance Alliance, who does policies for taxidermists. I figure if they are willing to show up at the shows when the economy is down, they are worth talking to and getting rate quotes from. The rep is coming by my place in a couple of weeks. My KY Farm Bureau agent is only concerned about my premiums being paid.

7. Skife

Skife Member

The problem is most coverage will only cover the Actual Cash Value. So if you have a 20" mule deer cape then that is about $80-120. If you lost a 170" mule deer antlers in a fire then that would cover about $100. The actual coverage comes no where near the replacement of someone's trophy and memories. Can you imagine trying to explain to your customer how his 170" mule deer will be awarded $220, when he spent $4,000 on a hunt? I prefer an umbrella policy on my personal and business issues, one which will cover a dramatic situation.

8. ljones

skife will you explain an umbrella policy and how it works

9. Missouri Creek Studio

Missouri Creek Studio Black buck Walnut pedestal

Keep in mind that if you're only insured with a standard home owners policy, it may with a rider cover your personal trophies but not your clients. You need to have a separate business policy. You can tailor it to cover the months of the year when your freezers are full..at a higher value and less so the rest of the year, to save on the premiums.

10. Call Jerry he is on top of our industry with the right insurance.

11. adamstaxidermy

adamstaxidermy New Member

Larry,
    I signed up with Jerry Officer of A.A.I. at the NTA show. Annual Premium was $550. I had been talking to him since our Indiana show in February. I did a lot of background checking and he seems to be treating the taxidermists that I was able to talk to right. He specializes in Taxidermists, Martial arts academy's, and Skating Rinks (weird combination, huh)
    By the way, the velvet job Ben did on the Mule Deer Antlers is awesome. Thank you!!! My customer will be pleased.