1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

"*" is a man among men. THANK YOU DENNIS!!!

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by George, Jul 13, 2009.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

For those of you who missed the seminar Michael P and I had, you have no earthly idea of what you missed. Sadly, no one taped it either.

I had all intentions of mounting a "standard" McKenzie form of a bedded whitetail. NOTHING HAD BEEN DONE except the antlers fitted and the hide tanned. The form was still in sawn pieces. When I laid it out on the table that morning, I told Michael, that damned form just ain't big enough.

Dennis pleaded with me to let him help as he swore he'd go nuts if he sat in that convention without anything to do. The smartest move I've ever made in my life was to tell him NO!. I told him he couldn't "help" us but he COULD let us help him.

When he got there, from the back of the room he said, "You aren't going to mount that skin on that deer are you?" I told him we weren't even planning on mounting it and that it was his decision. He stood at the back of the room and said "Give me a minute." Then he brought out his marker and drew a vertical line on the joined form. He said, cut this in half and give me some 2 inch blocks of foam to hold it in place. Once complete, he drew a lateral line from under the tail to the neck and we "lifted the lid" on the form by another 2 inches.

The most phenomenal thing I saw was that he did all of this without ever taking a single measurement on either the form or the hide. Then we prefit the hide and unlike O.J. Simpson, the hide fit like the proverbial glove. He offered me some Russian whitetail eyes and installed them. He put the jowls under the chin and the Roman nose on the form. He clayed the eyes in a dozing appearance and did things with potters clay that even ceramic shop owners couldn't imagine.

This man is one of those rare few who actually has magic in his hands and anyone who sat through it had to have seen what I did.

Dennis, I'll be forever grateful to you for not only turning our seminar into an extravaganza but for giving Connie's trophy of a lifetime a taxidermy job of a lifetime. Thank you.

2. rj9289

rj9289 Buck the system, be an individual, be who you are.

Re: "*" is a man among me. THANK YOU DENNIS!!!

i was amazed by the way he just looked at the form then cut it to pieces. it was awesome! i hope im half the taxidermist he is someday.

3. godawgsrw

godawgsrw New Member

He used a recip saw with the same precision as many use a tiny scalpel. The seminar was worth the entire trip. I'm not sure why I ever had doubt in my mind, but sitting there watching that form turn in to multiple pieces with the head completely turned the other direction, I kept saying to myself that will never look right and this will never be done by the end of the show. Shows how ignorant I truly was. Allowing us to be a part of that was worth so much more than the price of admission. Thanks again guys!

4. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

It was my pleasure George. ;D ;D ;D
    I have been worried that you made is home in time to tweek out the hooves and ears and the little things before it got to dry.
    I had fun meeting you for the first and hopefully not the last.

I hope anyone that watched takes the greatest thing I can teach anyone away from this....
    Never be afraid to jump into something and just go for it, Have confidence that you can and will overcome any problems that arise and your common sense and love of what you do will make the outcome exactly what you expected when you began. You can't learn anything new until you come up against a obstacle you must figure out how to overcome, that is learning.

5. truetolife

truetolife Fly goosey fly away....isn't she beautiful

PA

Very nice job guys, nice to finally meet you Dennis, always a pleasure to see you George, I hope the half time entertainment was better than Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlakes half time show

6. BVanKirk

BVanKirk package deal

the bartenders liked it

7. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Dennis' seminars WILL become the biggest draw to shows everywhere. Get ready Dude! I got a feeling you're just getting started. Nice Post George. See, you can musture out a little love every now and then.. LOL Dennis, I SO regret that I wasn't there to witness this first hand.

8. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

x2 man i wish i could have been there anybody got pics of it finished

9. BVanKirk

BVanKirk package deal

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

nice!!!

11. truetolife

truetolife Fly goosey fly away....isn't she beautiful

PA

KOMOKAZI

12. BVanKirk

BVanKirk package deal

LMAO

13. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

Dennis you are the man Nice job..I was a little concern about the neck,but you made it look good when you got it done Nice ..........

14. Brian Claar

Brian Claar New Member

This was one of the best seminars I've ever witnessed. Thanks George, Mike and Dennis (the Master Mind) for a great seminar.

15. adamstaxidermy

adamstaxidermy New Member

When I looked at the seminar schedule I saw that there was going to be a lifesize mount completed over two days. OK, I’ve mounted a lifesized deer on the same form. Went together perfectly (See my avitar. OK, considering it was my first one, it wasn’t a terrible experience). So as I saw it, I had other seminars that I needed to attend…Have lifesize Bobcat in the freezer, never done one…better take in the Brian Harness Bobcat seminar. Learned a little bit, but most of the details were already completed prior to the seminar so that the mount could be put together in the 3 hour time slot. Then saw that there was going to be a rock making seminar…. Just did a bear over a rock I made…Rock took forever, turned out OK, at best…Better go to that one, and get there early cause it will probably be crowded. Ended up seeing a 3 hour sales pitch for Quick rock….Nice stuff, but only had time for putting a few pieces together and filling a couple of seems, no finish work….Well, when I came out of that seminar, I saw something pretty cool in the lobby…a deer form that had been totally mutilated, foam oozing out all over, a 2x4sticking out of the neck, head laying on the table and some long haired fellow holding a saws-all. Still didn’t realize what I was missing. That afternoon, I went to see “Bones” Johnson mount a wild boar. I’ve mounted a couple of them a few years back, but they really didn’t turn out all that good. Figured I’d set in on that and pick up some pointers on jaw setting, finishing, form prep, etc. The form was a McKenzie Cast Lip system, already put together. The ears had already been bondo-ed, and the form was already completely prepped. Although Bones did a great job on the boar, I really didn’t learn anything.
    When I walked out of that Seminar, I was totally amazed at what I saw….Dennis was just finishing up re-sculpting the deer form with clay. This thing looked un-believable. It was then that I realized I had squandered away 6 hours learning very little, when 50 foot away there was an absolutely awesome opportunity to learn everything I could have wanted to know about a life-sized whitetail mount, from one of the very best wildlife artists in the world. To everyone that had the good sense to watch this from start to finish, I envy you. You probably witnessed the most amazing taxidermy seminar that has ever been given. I don’t think anyone could have envisioned what took place over those two days before they got started. Dennis, you are an amazing, inspiring artist. To the rest of the group that worked on this project, you guys (and gals) did an amazing job, as well. It was certainly a group effort, but clearly Dennis brought a little something extra to the architecture.

16. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

George & I were to put on tthis seminar & teach beginners the small knowledge we knew. When Dennis gracefully stepped in it turned into an experience I will carry throughout my career. I learned more from a seminar I was supposed to be presenting than any seminar I have ever attended.

I'm not trying to toot our seminars own horn, but it was probably one of the best seminars put on at any time at any show & I cannot take one ounce of credit for it.

Dennis stepped in & became a wild man! He knew by looking what he wanted & if he taught anybody anything it's to have "zero fear" when it comes to altering. Do what you have imagined in your mind, not on paper, don't think outide the box, throw the damn box away & think outside of everybody elses imagination.

The man makes a canvas out of poured cast foam. Thank you Dennis. I have major alterations to do on an Elk shoulder & have been procrastinating ever since I got the hide back a month ago from Carolina.....too much altering & BS I thought. You gave me that motivation we all yearn for when walking away from a show.

Thank gawd you have finally taught we after all these years how to properly hide the foam seams....that will go a long way in expediency!!

George, you're no slouch yourself old buddy...you ROCK you old fart! :)

17. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

Michael, right now I envy you more than any man on earth. What a deal. I'm glad for you that you got to be a part of this. I so wish I could have been there. I got a feeling shows are going to actually start paying Dennis to come and give seminars.

18. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    Please "recreate" this seminar and tape it!!

19. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Thats a seminar that I would have paid to go to and bought the recording too. Wish I could have been there to see it. Guess next show I see Dennis name on I will go just in case he does something like that again. I might splurge and buy a set of those whitetail eyes for my own lifesize deer. They look awesome. Congrats Dennis, George and Mike for putting on such a great deal at the show. Dan

20. It was awesome and for my first seminar ever I'll probably have nothing that will top it!!!! Thank you George, Mike and Dennis for putting on this seminar!!