1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mama Opossum & Pouch Baby

Discussion in 'Mammal Reference Photos' started by inkyspal, Jul 13, 2009.

1. inkyspal

inkyspal New Member

GA
    We caught this female opossum in our "have a heart" trap. She had 3 babies in her pouch. We photographed them using a Nikon D60 camera. We released them, unharmed (but quite ticked off), after the photo session.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. akcrottweiler

akcrottweiler New Member

Nice pictures,but one ugly creatures.

3. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

That was one mad mamma too. She wouldn't go anywhere till that baby was back in the pouch.

4. rj9289

rj9289 Buck the system, be an individual, be who you are.

you couldnt get Nickie to hold them while you took the pictures?? haha

5. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Nickie did hold the baby. He didn't have teeth.lol She wanted to keep him for a pet so I told her the cats would kill it. She gave it back to it's mamma. The mamma growled the entire time.

6. Very cute, I like the baby ones.

7. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

Wow you can really see how the whiskers just sprout out all over LOL.. That baby is cute...

8. inkyspal

inkyspal New Member

GA
    The whiskers were the most amazing to me, too! They stuck straight out all over her face. I wonder how difficult it would be to get them to do that when you mount one. I would imagine its much like a cat....they want to go in all different directions.

9. inkyspal

inkyspal New Member

GA
  10. GreenBullhead

GreenBullhead Peep peeep peep C:

Great shots!! Those babies are so cute!

11. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Rick, heres a couple more, if you wanna add them. I got some close ups too if you need details, like veins in the pouch lining, lol...Momma sure is never happy when you have her around the neck, ya know? These northern possums are a big handful, too. Hope you dont mind me jumping in on your thread!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. inkyspal

inkyspal New Member

GA

Bill, is the mama you're holding a pet? Have you ever known of anyone raising a possum to be a decent pet? I considered taking one of the babies and trying it myself.

13. Bill Yox

Nickie...nah, she was just a wild one we ran down and grabbed. She wasnt amused, but we were. I have been told in these forums that some feel they make good pets, including Bob Wendt, but I think hes half baked anyway. Ok, Im joking alittle, but he does say theyre a good animal to tame. I, on the other hand, got the heck bit out of me by some carnivorous babies that were even chewing the ears and tails off each other, in between bites of Bill Yox. Ill stick to training light poles...theyre smarter, and bite less. :D Good luck if you do. I suppose if Rick competes with a 'possum soon, Ill know what all transpired...remember, 52 teeth!

14. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Where are your gloves Bill? ::)

15. Bill Yox

Well...I THOUGHT I left em in her pouch, but...

16. inkyspal

inkyspal New Member

GA
    As much as I love animals, and would find it nearly impossible to kill one for my own benefit....the thought actually occurred to me that that mamma and 3 babies would make an awesome mount!! I was actually tempted!!

17. Bill Yox

Sometimes when they clamp down with that mouthful of teeth, you can be VERY persuaded!