1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The NTA Score Sheet and Judge

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by *, Jul 16, 2009.

1. SCT

SCT New Member

I don't know who the judge was or whether he could do more creative work or not. But, I agree there should be more points given for "action" poses like this, especially for it's size. They should set peramiters as to what will fit in the "creativity" section of the score sheet and automatically add a certain number. My opinion is it should be 10 points. It should be at least that much because of the WOW factor to encourage others to compete with more action poses.

Competitions are fun, but can also be very frustrating, and it's "scores" like this that don't give enough merit for 3 dimenssional art that will screw competitions.

The powers that be need to change the score sheet in this manner.

2. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Lets play name that judge! Paul Gallegos from New Mexico (who the **** is that?) as reads the brag sheet for the show. If your not the judge of this piece I apologize and will remove it.

3. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Well Dennis,...........

I absolutely love your work.

I am inspired by your work.

:)

Kerby...

4. rj9289

rj9289 Buck the system, be an individual, be who you are.

Exactly what I said earlier in the week, I'd love to see that judge try to put something together like that. Dennis we all know what you are capable of and you have never let any of us down with a mount, they are all amazing pieces, hopefully I'll be half the taxidermist you are someday. I'm working on a mount next week that will be * inspired so to say. That's right here comes the leaping one footed dennis inspired/ryans best at attempting to think like him for two weeks mount!! ;D

5. Paul did have a Javelina on a ped, there I looked it over hard and the javelina was put together extremly well. If you missed the shoulder mount on the table you did miss a nice mount. very wellput together.

This is not any arguement, its just a statement of what was there.

6. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Agreed John
    I saw it, tight piece, BUT just a Javy on a ped.
    A technical taxidermists dream piece. I take nothing away from him or it.

I've tried for three years now to combine the arts with taxidermy
    Cross the lines and bring the two together

I still see the void between the tech and the art.

We have two types of taxidermists in this world, I thought maybe I could get them closer
    Maybe I was and am DEAD WRONG.

7. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

You won a world title. Don't you think that brought them closer?

8. *

I'm trying
    But got a little set back by his one ;D

9. RDA

RDA Active Member

hmmm where have I heard that before!! ;) ;D ;D *, while your pieces are outstanding works of art, competitions also deal with technical anatomical detail Both play an important factor... While the pieces "in motion" do attract the crowds, we both know that in certain shops, these are every day affairs..And for the MOST part, the work coming out of these shops while being very dramatic and artsy lack in the detail areas....Going big doesn't necessarily mean going right... This line of thought is probably in most judges minds...So with a splashy artsy piece--the only thing left to judge is the details.....You'Ve opened alot of eyes on here with your talents which I would hardly call a loss! There is a ton of games behind the scenes of competition and strategies welcome to the murky pool!!! ;) :D Continue on with your art work and advancing our industry- every show is a new day..... ;)

10. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

Why are judges allowed to compete in shows they are judging???? Dennis and Ron we all know that the shops that are able to put together those very active and dramatic pieces are very few and far between but we need to stay the course and continue to inspire those who can and need to bring there work to the next level. The NTA score sheets were also used at the world show and I didn't like them then and apparently neither did my judge, I said then they should be changed. And after seeing and hearing what happened down there it really just makes me want to wait 2 years and save up for a really big competition.

11. Dennis, don't give up!!! It takes time to make change, unless you are obuma then you can kill a country is months.

12. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Ask yourself this question. Would you pay whatever it cost to attend the show to that judge to come to your showroom & give you his opinion. I thought not. If some of these judges dont put their egos in check & enough people ask this question of themselves then I see the death of competitions. Negativity doesnt sell.

13. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

I see it the same way Bill, and your very right.

14. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

N.J.
    Dennis, I have no right whatsoever to an opinion on this matter, but my heart reeks of passion for the time you put into the elk and lion mounts. The bongo calf also struck the same cords in me as did the waterbuck and kudu. That passion gradually turned into sadness when I thought about why God didn't bring artists like you together in the same era with other iconic men like James L. Clark, Carl Akeley, Leon L. Walters, Julius Friesser and of course the great Louis Paul Jonas. The answer is quite simple, really it is. Taxidermists like yourself have mastered their own plane in life. True, our past icons turned paths into trails, trails into roads and roads into freeways. But they have also left taxidermists like you to travel what they conquered. To navigate broader routes to greater destinations than I think even they never have imagined before.
    After reading your post, I couldn't help but apply the very same verse written by Kenyon Cox that Louis Paul himself would hold dear to him until his dying day. How fitting it would be to have it inscribed so that the judge and the taxidermist could read it from both sides of the mount before them:

Work thou for pleasure, paint sing or carve
    The things thou lovest, though the body may starve
    Who works for money, coin is his very soul
    Who works for glory, misses oft' the goal
    Work for the work's sake; then it may be
    That all these things will be added to thee.

When I saw you in the halls of the convention center working on Connie's buck, I wanted so much to meet you but I didn't care to distract anyone, not while George was holding his tucking tool anyway. Having heard so many wonderful things about you from our mutual friend Joe Kulis, I thought for sure we'd meet each other during the week. Later I met up with one of my most special friends, Bob Chauvin, who I had previously asked to judge the first annual NTA Louis Paul Jonas Award along with the Sinclair Clark Award, sponsored by Wilderness Fur Dressers, Ronkonkoma, NY. Bob actually worked under Louis Paul and was more than a personal friend of Sinclair's. How appropriate to say the least. I wish you could have heard the things Bob said after viewing your stunning work. Anyway, the Louis Paul Jonas award was graciously sponsored by Mr. Andrew Magninat owner of Sendero Wildlife Supply near San Antonio, TX., and from what he tells me, the award will have a long life here at the NTA.
    I'm not here to say that you didn't build bridges that gap the arts with taxidermy. What I am saying is, that taxidermists like you, are very successful at digging tunnels when they realize the water may still be too high for bridges. I assure you, there is a light at the end of the tunnel you made for us. Walking towards the light is working towards the goal.
    Congratulations on winning the first annual NTA Louis Paul Jonas Award.
    Thank you so very much for coming to the NTA show. You have touched more hearts and created more inspiration there than you have the spirits of the very animals you have artistic command of.

John Janelli
    NTA Board Member

15. *

JJ Thanks for those words
    You have no idea what they mean to me
    My first shop was EXACTLY the same building that JONAS started in, same door, same window same layout it was a clone of their shop.
    Kinda like fate.
    I never knew it for 20 years till someone pulled out a pic and I realized it!
    SO to win a that Jonas Award brought me to tears later that night.
    I have lived this business and breathed it for 39 years. I don't do ANYTHING ELSE, I was born to do this.
    This Industry has given me everything that I have and ever will have.
    I owe this industry a lot, god more, and my family has sacrificed much more than they should have for what I do.
    IF I can leave this earth someday KNOWING I have inspired the young people of this profession to continue on the path I found for myself thru the Jonas', Akeley and the others then I did my job here.

I'm tenacious and will never quit jamming my "ART" down your throat. ;D ;D
    I can take my lumps and vent, but if I get slapped in the face, I tend to slap back.

Next time walk over and interupt me. I can chew gum and cut with a saw all at the same time ;D
    Hey JJ, Tell Bob when he handed me that Award and I looked into his eyes I ALMOST Lost it.
    He was handing my an Award with the Louis Paul Jonas' name on it.

16. Huntress

Huntress Member

I think that's what we all strive for but for most of us we put the emphasis on the taxidermy first. Even if you've been doing taxidermy for 20 years, three years competing is not a long time to learn all the technical details and that is where most taxidermists start. After getting the tech side figured out then most struggle with the artistic side. Dennis, I think you just put the cart before the horse....your artistic side scores off the chart but maybe you struggle with the tech side because it's rigid and confining. If you can find a way to throw yourself into the details like you do the art there will be no stopping you.
    In any case it's a beautiful piece and I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

17. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

If you saw the eyes, ears, nose & mouth detail from as close as 6" away as I did I think you would think differently. That was an EASY 85-88 in ANY show whether it be Worlds, State or NTA.

The NTA tried to distinguish itself above the Worlds with it's judging....I think next year will reflect that the judging on some pieces were not tough, they were arrogant & stupid judging scores.

Who wants to plat play the lottery, if you scratch the right judge you're a winner. I've seen a lot of mounts & judging, but this was a farce. Plain & simple farce.

18. *

No Huntress, I don't have time to do anymore than I've done with the technical aspect.
    I Don't want to do anymore, it's not in me.
    My motion and style of airborn mounts is. It is what I am.
    I know what I do this for, YOU the people and my clients.
    I'm happy with that and am very content with it.
    I'm starting work on a NEW AIR LIONS, two HUGE MALES and a lifesize KUDU.
    Or we could call it the "The Flip and the Roll" ;D
    Gotta get to work ;D

19. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Don't forget the "air mink and minnows" we discussed at great length Dennis! ;D :D :D

20. Huntress

Huntress Member

I have not seen the mount close up or the actual score sheet so I stand corrected.

I sure hope that you'll keep sharing your work with us here Dennis. I've found that competitions are extremely stressful even if they are a good learning experience but I wouldn't wish that stress on anyone. Have fun with the 'Flip and Roll'.