1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The NTA Score Sheet and Judge

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by *, Jul 16, 2009.

1. John Janelli

John Janelli New Member

N.J.
    Thanks for researching all that Mr. Rogers. You're a gem!

2. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Hey Josh, thanks for trying, and thanks for the name of the book and its author. And a big thank you for the name of that super-talented sculptress who created the human figures for the dioramas, and what a cool memory for you! Those Maasai warriors look like they are breathing!! You can feel the tension in their bodies facing the charge of the Lion. Man, oh man, what a rush that display gives!

The high quality work that has been done there, is one of the reasons I was so happy to hear about Wendy's wins with her recreation of "Samson". I've known her and Gary for years and met them both at some World Shows I attended ... and they are the nicest people you ever want to meet, willing to share their knowledge and help whenever they can. Good people! I sat through the entire webcast, and the subsequent recordings of her working on Samson, and the results are superb! Just SUPERB! It's nice to see her work is still appreciated! ;) ;D

John.

3. Thats very cool about Sampson.
    I actually got to see Sampson when I was a little tot. My dad has a photo of me in front of hit enclosure.
    I have only seen a few pictures of her recreation of him.
    Are there any more floating around?

Its funny with Sampson and Judye Frankoiak she was commissioned to do a bronze of him shorty after his death.
    There was an issue about the zoo suddenly not having the funds and it was stopped before it began.
    I honestly and not sure if they ever did the bronze or not.

The Maasai warriors are brilliant.
    The facial structure is amazing, Perfectly done.
    I remember walking around them on the diorama. they towered over me and were frighting looking with the spears in hand.

The link appears to be working again.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

The Maasai figures are absolutley the best I've ever seen. As John says, it's hard to believe they aren't breathing.

5. Monte

Monte Missouri fur-Limited hair-tanning

A good friend of mine Mr. Fred Funk worked at the acadamy for 22 years. He went on several expiditions to collect birds and mount them.
    It is my understanding that most of the diaromas were destroyed. The last I new ,at least some of the mounts were warehoused.
    Some of Freds work is on my web site. He often comments on the great work of Frank Tose.

6. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Hey Mike P ;D
    Dave Weger was my Foremen at AA, ;D Stil there for all I know.
    Lead taxidermist and one hell of a cat man.
    Taught me a lot about alterations and suspension.
    Nice guy, I liked him very much and learned a lot from him.

7. Riverland

Riverland New Member

Some of the new dioramas at the Milwaukee museum that have people involved are so realistic they are kinda creepy almost like they're freeze-dryed. There are some in the P/Y museum in Chatfield MN. that Wendy did of Fred Bear and others that are pretty cool also.The gorilla is in the main entry to the right as you enter. The buffaloe exhibit that is 40 years old needs some cleaning but very impressive every animal is on one leg running.

8. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    These are the Jonas Brothers contribution to the old dioramas at the California Academy of Sciences. Damn shame they are now gone! These are from an old brochure of theirs, from about the early 1930's or so.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Very nice work!

John.