1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Week in Fish Pictures~ Week #17 Jan 16 2007- Feb 1 2007

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Rick Krane, Jan 26, 2007.

1. AnglingArtisan

AnglingArtisan Well-Known Member

Hey Dave- Thanks for the kind words.
    I can't wait to see what you come up with on whatever it is you are working on.
    It's hard to beleive that someone as talented as yourself actually went a period of time without doing any fish :eek:

As for my tippings all I will say is that I use a combination of Createx paints...pearlized/transparent/opaque...I mix up different concoctions for different areas of the fish according to reference. Use it straight from the bottle or thin it with water for a less intense effect.
    Createx with a twist ;)

2. A small sauger attacking the lure of a pocketbook mussel. The lure will burst, releasing the larval mussels (glochidia). The glochidia will then attach themselves to the sauger's gills and fins. They will develop, grow, and eventually drop off and begin the next phase of their life on the river bottom. Great for the mussel, not so great for the host.

3. BIGUN

BIGUN Member

Thanks, AA! Just the kind of help I like: a nudge in the right direction but still some discovery- thanks, bro. Fishworship: that sauger is amazing. Dave

4. Red stag

Red stag Active Member

Norway
    So many beautiful mounts this week!!! :eek: Not doing fishwork for a while but I will be back soon. Thanks!

5. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

Just checking in this morning!

Eric C!!! What a beautiful Brown! Well Done!!! This is tremendous for any effort no less your first! Great work!

Hey Rich!!! Awesome Brown Fish Brother!!! Always a great work of fish art from a talented fellow fish head!!! Great work Rich!

Hey Jim F!!!! Tremendous work on the Big King! The display and presentation is notable pleasing and beautiful! Great work!! The Customer will be blown away!

KJ (Fish Worship) What breathtaking Sauger!!! This work of art is outstanding! What a gift of talent! Please share more often!

What a great start tot the weekend!

Ok Off to work!

My Best!

Rick

6. dougp

dougp Active Member

Thought I would try one more........

Mayhem.....how about it!!! Didn't know a blank for a coelacanth was available. That IS very cool!!
    Ang. art.....your "plain old brown trout" is as usual beautiful!!
    Jim F......nice piece, difficult fish to do.
    Fishworship....LOVE your sauger....!!

Here's another bass sequence done with a New Wave blank. Very simple commercial paint job using only a few colors.

7. dougp

dougp Active Member

Finish sequence.......

8. Ed

Ed Member

"AnglingArtist" First, your work is nothing but inspiring. I was wondering what type of camera you use for posting your pictures and how many megapics it is? Thankyou ED

9. Capt. Bryan

Capt. Bryan Guest

Dougp,
    Your Peacock and largemoputh are outstanding, i love your style of painting..............
    Which largemout his that? What size?.............Bryan 8)

10. dougp

dougp Active Member

Thank you Bryan....I'm a major fan of your replica work. The bass blank from New Wave is # 1204, 25x19.5 good both sides. I like the blanks I get from Mike.....wish he had more freshwater fish to choose from.

11. ArtistPete

ArtistPete Member

You guys are sick!! Man, how I love to look at this thread--always my first when I get on the computer. I'd like to address each and every pic but I'll just say thanks for the opourtunity to see your professional work--it's an inspiriation to us begginners. I'm getting lot's of ideas from all you guys. Seems each week it gets better---unusual stuff, super dioramas, step by step pics, etc--all are very much appreciated. I don't want to sound too squisshy here, but you guys should all be proud of your artistic talents---you have the abilities and knowlegde to duplicate the beauty of fish--which is a passion for all of us. And thanks especially to Rick Krane for keepin' this goin' --very much appreciated.

12. dougp

dougp Active Member

Hey Artist Pete.....nice of you to post. There are some very cool guys on this site. Tons of talent! The best of all i i i s s s..... with some minor gliches, the ego's have been kept in check. Believe me, that is a true tribute to the contributors. This business has been known to have ego issues of sorts. We all strive to do the best we can. Most are willing to pass on encouragement and some solid advice learned from years of trial and error. I'm thankful for what I have enjoyed over many years in this business and would like to see the "new" young guns go forward with some good thoughts about us "old dudes" and the new innovators who are willing to share....... if you have the passion, come into the fold and feel the pain of always falling short of our goal.....

13. tonyt

tonyt New Member

IOWA
    2 mounts here

14. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

mayhem15 that is a great looking paint job on that fish. However if I ever caught one on of those coelacanth. It would probably scare me so bad I'd throw the fish, rod, reel, and tackle box in the water just to make sure it was gone, lol.

15. mayhem15

mayhem15 New Member

Thanks Michelle !

16. Gina

Gina New Member

Mayhem! Where did you get that fish?? fantastic!! I read about those in National Geo. when iw as a kid!! Thats pretty cool!!

17. Mark V.

Mark V. Chinook Salmon replica

37 in Northern pike skin mount. Wow some truly awesome work again this week everyone. Some weird ones but awesome just the same. Love the Peacock bass. I have always wanted to do one of those. I haven't had anything out of the ordinary to post lately. ,Mark V.

18. Rick Krane

Hey Doug Great Bass photos!!! Super work my friend!

Artist Pete! Thank you for the opportunity to help out and you’re so right about the work!!! Looking forward to seeing you here every week!

MK!!!! Great Smallies! Fantastic tipping on the old bronze backs! Great job my man!!!

Tony T!!! Have been watching a bit of your work here this evening and to say it is some goooood stuffffff! Welcome aboard!

Mark V!!! Beautiful pike!!! Love the Bean shapes and detail on the fins! Top Shelf Mark!

Rick!

19. Rick Krane

Here is the latest Student of Anglers Artistry Mr. Jimmy Lawrence of Bedford Iowa!! Jimmy spent a week and we worked on a pedestal bass and a Great repro Steelhead cast from our friend Dave Campbell. This is Jimmy on his way to the airport Saturday morning. We stopped off to take a picture or two by a frozen mountain lake in Dublin NH. Jimmy worked really hard and did a awesome job! Thanks Jimmy (aka Vinny) for being a great guy! Buddy says HI!

My Best!

Rick Krane

20. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    hey doug p-what do you have on the eyes of your largemouth repro?? looks like masking tape?