1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

snake sale

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by buckhunting101, Jul 19, 2009.

1. buckhunting101

buckhunting101 Hides N Stuff Taxidermy

I know this is gonna open up a can of corn but......Does anyone know if its legal to sell snakes from the state of West Virginia?I looked around for a while and couldnt find anything.If i send the dnr a email they tell me to call.When i do call i dont get an answer and when i leave a voicemail i never get a call back.So if anyone has any info its greatly appreciated.Also if anyone knows a site online to get info thatd be great.Thanks

2. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

You might want to check the internet. Just go to google and type in West Virgina DNR and I am sure it will come up with something. Other than that I can't help you. Good Luck. Dan

3. buckhunting101

buckhunting101 Hides N Stuff Taxidermy

tried with no luck thanks though.I hate how everything is so friggen complicated when it comes to this stuff.And the stupid dnr dosent help.If i screw up and break a law i get fined and thrown in jail with a revoked license.But if i ask i dont get s*** for an answer.I guess the state has to get money somehow since apparently taxes arent enough so now they just charge people out of there very life savings just because they make a mistake which is seemingly impossible to know until u get charged for it.I need to stop ranting lol.

4. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

What kind of snakes are you trying to sell Alan? West Virginia is NOT on my list of "timber rattlesnake protector states". I'll see what I come up with tonight. ;)

5. AUplantman

AUplantman New Member

yager you need to change your avatar.......you lookin a little "dark"

6. rj9289

rj9289 Buck the system, be an individual, be who you are.

well.....he did recieve a picture of obama at the NTA show....maybe hes inspired!

7. DeeCee

DeeCee New Member

yeah, kinda like antique farm equipment! LOL

8. dbess

dbess New Member

I asked around about mounting a snake (timber) and was told taxidermist in WV could mount anything that has a ''season'' on it, and snakes did not have a season....to have one in your posession you need a game farm permit....if you or anyone else has any other info please post.

9. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

I just did some research on snakes in WV and copperheads and timber rattlesnakes are NOT protected in the state. However, I wouldn't take that as a "free for all" to sell. Most of those special permits are meant for live specimens or that is how it is in my state of AL. ;)

10. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

wv code states :

§20-2-11. Sale of wildlife; transportation of same.
    No person, except those legally licensed to operate private game preserves for the purpose of propagating game for commercial purposes and those legally licensed to propagate or sell fish, amphibians and other forms of aquatic life, shall purchase or offer to purchase, sell or offer to sell, expose for sale, or have in his or her possession for the purpose of sale any wildlife, or part thereof, which has been designated as game animals, fur-bearing animals, game birds, game fish or amphibians, or any of the song or insectivorous birds of the state, or any other species of wildlife which the director may designate: Provided, That pelts of game or fur-bearing animals taken during the legal season may be sold and live red and gray foxes and raccoon taken by legal methods during legal and established trapping seasons may be sold within the state: Provided, however, That hide, head, antlers and feet of a legally killed deer and the hide, head and skull of a legally killed black bear may be sold.
    Hope this helps

11. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Looks like it conveniently leaves out the word "reptile" or "dead". :D if that is the only law that touches the subject, then I wouldn't be to worried, but you have to watch out for the "gotcha" laws on the back of the page. ;)

12. bmdakk

the laws also state a permit is not required for small game taken legally, provided that it was taken in an open season for the specific animal ( ie... a fox squirrel legally taken in squirrel season can be possesed without a permit). However on the snake issue, in wv there is NO SEASON for snakes and therefore cannot be possessed, that is where they will get you. they have all kinda laws and what i call sub laws in wv (as Im sure in every state that they can get you on.) For instance I bear hunt with dogs and the law states that you cannot shoot at or harm any bear that is under 100lbs( this now has changed to 75 pounds this year), or any bear accompaning such animal. Last year we killed and legally checked in at a checking station, a questionable (i thought) bear. there are provisions in the law that say as long as the bear has canines of at least 3/4 in long, it is a legal bear, the bear in question was aged at 3 years old and very emaciated didnt weigh 80 lbs on the hoof.

13. bmdakk

WEST VIRGINIA'S THREATENED SNAKES

West Virginia has several species of snakes that are currently undergoing declines. These snake species are on the DNR Species of Special Concern list. If you find one of these species, please contact the DNR, 304-637-0245 or Dr. Thomas Pauley at Marshall University [email protected]

Northern Brownsnake
    Common Ribbonsnake
    Eastern Smooth Earthsnake
    Mountain Earthsnake
    Eastern Hog-Nosed Snake
    Eastern Wormsnake
    Northern Rough Greensnake
    Cornsnake
    Eastern Kingsnake
    Timber Rattlesnake

14. dbess

dbess New Member

dont see a Canebrake on there ;)

15. bmdakk

there are no known canebrakes in wv. these are the only native snakes to wv, according to the herpetologist at marshall university

Family: Colubridae
    Queen Snake
    Common Watersnake
    Northern Brownsnake
    Northern Red-bellied Snake
    Common Ribbonsnake
    Eastern Gartersnake
    Eastern Smooth Earthsnake
    Mountain Earthsnake
    Eastern Hog-nosed Snake
    Northern Ring-necked Snake
    Eastern Wormsnake