1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

looking for paint schedule for Muskie

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by newfhntr, Sep 17, 2006.

1. newfhntr

newfhntr New Member

I just received a 52" 'muskie and was wondering where I could get the paint schedule for this. I also have a perch and walleye to do. Any good books to purchase?

Thanks!

2. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Muskies actually vary a lot but there's a generic schedule on Research's site. Click on free downloads.

3. Wild Bill

Wild Bill If my hats missing im fishing

John Rhinehart used to have an excellent video on painting Muskies, but now his supplies are part of Mckenzie. Call and see if they still carry it if you don't mind investing in a video.

4. Each individual musky that comes into my studio has it's own unique features as far as color goes. I really don't know how anyone could follow a paint schedule on a fish like this but good luck.

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

You got that right. One has to get to the point where what one sees in a photo, or from experience can tell what the fish looked like before dead, he or she can duplicate. However paint schedules can help those just starting out.

Good luck!

6. I have to agree with all the posts. I fished for Musky for close to 40yrs. Especially in Lake St. Clair, in Michigan and Canada. You can catch 10 to 12 fish and none will look the same. Some have a brownish coloration to them while others will have a greenish coloring to them. It all depends where in the lake the fish were caught. It goes the same with the inland lakes I fished. Also with the tiger muskies I've caught. I've noticed some are barred heavily while other are not. It all depends on where and when the fish is caught. Ask if the customer if he/she took any pictures of the fish, when it was fresh out of the water. Then go by that. If I ever get my scanner going. I'll put some pictures of some of the fish I caught for reference.

Coyote

7. Wildchild 69

Wildchild 69 Trust Me!!!

The Breakthrough Fish painting encyclopedia and Ron Reynolds Realfish manuals are very good tools to add to the arsenal of a beginning fish taxidermist. They can provide you with good starting points at times when you have no idea where to begin. Both are available through WASCO. Good Luck! Jeff F.

8. NOAH@aarrkk

[email protected] Active Member

GA
    http://www.learntaxidermy.com/index.php?page=how_to
    has a muskie paint schedule that Dan Rinehart put together.
    Hope it helps.