1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

cow hide rug

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Wildgame, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Wildgame

Wildgame New Member

I have a black Angus cow hide, who or where can I send this to to have a rug made. Any info greatly appreciated, I have never attempted this type of work .............

Thanks
    Larry

2. Just about any tannery in the US that takes cowhides. Some don't accept fresh or frozen hides, so if you choose one of them you will need to take absolutely all of the meat and fat and slippery membrane off of the hide and salt it. You wont be able to ship it until it has dried completely. If you choose a tannery that does accept fresh or frozen hides you will need to deliver it in person or ship it overnight to the tannery.

Hope this helps. We are a tannery that accepts frozen hides as well as salted ones. Not sure as to your location but it is often best to find the one closest to you, as it cuts way down on shipping costs.

Thanks
    Shelby
    Promise Land Ranch & Tannery
    (509)422-3814

3. Larry,
    Is the hide already tanned? If not check this site under suppliers for tanneries. Make sure you get a dry tan on that, so the rug will turn out supple. Drop me an e-mail if you are in need of a good rugmaker for the project: [email protected]cox.net. I also have an ad under the supplier section( in the wholesale rugmaking area).
    Kind regards,
    Mary

4. buckeyebullet23

buckeyebullet23 New Member

Ohio
    may also want to try Fortman's in Ohio, they do cow hides.