1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

B.O. (Baquacil Oxidizer) in Degreaser question.

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Michelle_Nelson, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

Pretty sure I already know the answer to this but thought I would ask any way.

I believe I read on here a while back of a couple of you guys adding B.O to your Dawn/Water degreasers to help get a jumps start on the whitening.

My question is. If I add the B.O. to one of my Dawn/Water degreasers for my bear skulls and than put the skulls in several Dawn Water degreaser after with no B.O. and than a 24 soak in streight water can I put the Bear skull in Acetone to finnish getting the grease out? Will I have any problems with chemial reaction?

I find that all my Bears require Actone to get all the grease out.

2. Michelle_Nelson

My Bear Skulls usually stay in Acetone for 1 - 2 months.

3. http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,125556.0.html

R U Using Bucket heater?

4. bulldog4949

bulldog4949 "Mounting your Memories"

No mixing bo and dawn/water degreasing solutions. That would be wasting great peroxide.

Now mixing the brown bottle 3% is worth it.

5. sherpa-Al

sherpa-Al New Member

I use peroxide in the final degreasing step, usually just to get those pesky blood stains out. At 125F the peroxide really starts to work so don't add too much to your mix, usually I add a 1/2 cup to 2 gallons or so. I believe this gives a good final boost to the degreasing and keeps your peroxide or b.o. used in the final whitening, cleaner, longer because there is less crud coming from the skull.

Al

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Mixing that small of an amount of the peroxide to the water probably is not going to have much of an effect, if any. Your skull should be dry before going into the acetone anyway. Less contamination of water into your acetone that way.

7. Michelle_Nelson

I have my skulls in a average size cooler. Maybe 7 gallons of water with atleast 2 skulls in it. I put about 1 - 1 1/2 cups of peroxide in with the Dawn Water the other day with 2 small Wild Hog skulls and it seams to have really whitened them up. These were just kinda some test dummies.

I have 5 Bears Skulls and 2 or 3 of them are pretty stained. One of them is really blood stained. I was going to add Peroxide to get a boost on the whitening and maybe get a little bit of the staining out.

I have had my Bear Skulls in Dawn/Water and a fish tank heater for around 2 weeks now. I know they are no where near being done degreaseing. I was thinking of adding a small amount of BO to the dawn/water for about 24 - 48 hours. Than changing the degreaser out every day or 2 for the next week with no BO. Than puting the skulls in clean water for 24 hours letting the Skulls dry completely for a week. Than putting them in Acetone for the remaining of the degreasing process. Which is normally around 1 - 2 months.

So my question is. Will the Peroxide be completely neutralized by this point? Will I run into the skulls becoming brittle and chaulky if I do it this way?

8. Sea Wolf

It wouldn't seem so, but It's always best to test first. Your peroxide will not be an issue as you are changing water with no further BO added. After a couple of days I would think that the peroxide issue would be nil. I have only had skulls become chalky or brittle when exposed to soda ash and/or high temperatures. I just pulled out a couple of skulls that I forgot in BO for a week. They are just fine.

9. Michelle_Nelson

Cool. Checked my hog skulls after 24 hours in the stuff and they have whitened up a lot and the stain is pretty much gone. I can sure see where I am going to have issues with grease to. It is kinda a orange/yellow color.

I know I did this on a Bear skull 2 years ago and I didn;t notice anything wrong with it and it came out great. I just wanted to see if their were any other taxi's doing the same thing and if they were having any problems with it.

10. michael69

michael69 Active Member

Add about 1/2 cup of oxyclean to your peroxide that will most definitely give you skulls as white as there gonna get.

11. Sea Wolf

No need to do this and when dealing with BO could be potentially dangerous. Bad advice IMO. The only thing you should be mixing with peroxide is Basic White as it was made specifically to do this. And BO is so strong even that is rarely needed.

12. michael69

michael69 Active Member

I didnt say anything about BO I said peroxide and oxyclean works good

13. Sea Wolf

BO IS peroxide. Very strong peroxide. Using BO is exactly what Michelle asked about. And mixing other chemicals with any peroxide is asking for trouble. Michelle put a small amount of peroxide in with a degreaser. That is considerably different than adding chemicals to straight peroxide of any dilution.

14. Nothing should go into strong peroxide but gloves and skulls. Ever.

15. Michelle,

I will take some old peroxide and soak a bear in it if I have spots that are kicking my butt. I'll rinse thouroughly then place back in the dawn or I've rinsed and soaked then let dried and placed back in acetone. I use a 35% peroxide and the old stuff is probally weakened to just a few %.

16. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Be extremely careful when telling others what they can and cannot mix. You have them mixing chlorine bleach with peroxide...

If you don't know, don't advise it!

OXYclean - http://www.melrosechem.com/english/msd_eng/hs0853.pdf

OXIclean - http://www.ahprokleen.com/MSDS/MSDS-1605-OxiClean%20VSR.pdf

17. Sea Wolf

Thank you Cyclone.