1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hair can be pulled out of bear cape after coming out of pickle

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by GB, Jan 26, 2007.

1. GB

GB New Member

I have a bear cape that has been in the piclke for quiet sometime. I have checked the PH every week and it has been good. I took it out today to shave it and I noticed that I can pull on the hair and it will come out. I'm going to try to shave it anyway. Is there anything I can do to try and save this cape. thanks, GB

2. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

DONT pull on the hair. After it dries the hair will tighten up.

3. Bobbym1232

Bobbym1232 New Member

I had this happen with a whitetail hide a few months ago. Did you by chance use a vinegar pickle? I asked the expert, Glen, about this and he said that the vinegar most likely promoted the growth of a certain bacteria that was most likely on the hide before it went into the pickle. So after 3-4 days in the pickle, the bacteria had ruined the hide, even if the pH was kept at recommended levels. It was just that certain kind of bacteria. I will never use a vinegar pickle again. You might shoot Glen a message and see what he says, his user name is Glen Conley.

4. GRB

GRB Guest

I used the safety acid pickle on this bear cape. I shaved it today and did not have any hair just fall out of it. Maybe it will be OK after the 2nd pickle and the tan. thanks, GB

5. This is common since the corium is wet around the hair follicle. Remedy: don't pull on the hair. It will take weeks to dry to the point that the long hair is tight enough on the mount to tighten up. The chest floor will dry first and the hair on the back of the mount will dry last.

Guys using DP on mounts are not used to the loose hair on wet tans. If it is not coming out in whole patches, you are still good.

6. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Yep, I learned this on the first cape I ever tanned. The hair is weakest in the pickle and if you pull it, it will come out. After neutralizing and tanning, it will tighten up. Do not pull it.

7. RTF

RTF Active Member

DO NOT PULL ON HAIRS WHEN HIDE IS WET. Any hide anywhere any time will loose hair when pulled on when hide is wet. Especially fresh out of the tub.