1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

suspended fish

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by KAMoHunter, Jul 23, 2009.

1. KAMoHunter

KAMoHunter Proud member of the WVTA

aight i have a dilema. im trying to figure out the best way to hide a support wire for a jumping fish. ive thought about drilling though about a 1 in piece of wood and slideing the wire through it but it will be hard to find a piece around here that size. anyone got any good suggestions about how to finagle this thing. oh yeah and its a 360 mount so it needs to be small and clean.

Thanks
    Kris

2. meopilite

meopilite New Member

MN
    dont really understand ur situation, but cant you use copper tubing, smash the ends and drill holes in the smashed ends to put screws in........

3. Depending on the application and position of the "jumping fish" ...are you going to have an artificial water scene with possible, splash effect?

If so, you can use those clear acrylic rods they have that are made pretty much for that application......GOOD LUCK!

4. KAMoHunter

nope the fish is slightly pointed down towards the water closer to entry than exit. now splash so as best i can tell the acrylic rod wouldn't work. good idea though.

5. dbess

dbess New Member

You might try to place a stream net under it, making it look as if it just jumped out of the net, back to the water

6. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

O.K., I can help you out. First thing, dont do the landing net thing, thats just tacky, sorry dbess. Next, what kind of fish are we talking here? It matters, believe me. Next, I've got to ask you if it's a 360 fish, I'm sure it's not your first, what are you trying to achieve with the diorama? Is there a possibility of an underwater/out of water scene? Could it be a bass in some cattails? How about a trout in a log filled stream? If it's a fish out in the middle of a lake, then we have a challenge! What's your plan?

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Several years back I did an "Air Bass" mount (like "*" mounts.) It was a female on a "bed" while chasing off a smaller male. For her, I cut off the bottom edge ray of the caudal fin and inserted a tempered 10 gauge wire up into the body. I converted the wire into that missing ray and rebuilt the rest of the caudal. Under the tongue of the female and into the top lip, I imbedded tempered wires the same way. This allowed me to skewer the male fish and have him "stuck" to the females upper and lower mandibles. When I glossed them with Ultra Clear epoxy, they locked together. I used real sand mixed with fiberglass resin as the "bed" and the imbedded female was locked in there when the fiberglass cured.

8. KAMoHunter

M.T. Its a steel head that is jumping and re-entering the water. it has a water base with rocks in it. there is a branch that sticks out of the water and it is a V shape. i can easily slide the suport rod all the way down so that the fish touches the branch but thats what i am trying to avoid doing.

9. hunterray2002

hunterray2002 http://www.finandfoto.com

Kamohunter. Goto my website and click on fresh water. .. near the bottom you will see a leaping rainbow I did. that kinda sounds like what you are doing. If so let me know and I'll fill you in on how I did the mount.

www.finandfoto.com

10. KAMoHunter

thats very similar, however mine is actually about 6 imches out of the water makin it hard to use the splash.

11. hunterray2002

hunterray2002 http://www.finandfoto.com

you may hafe to actually do what you didn't want todo and use the branch.

12. That sounds like a clever way to hide the wires. Do you have a pic of the finished mount? It sounds really cool.

13. I'd like to see that mount too George. Gota pic for us.
    Jim