1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Another Bird Poll: What kind of form do you use?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by James Parrish, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Hand wrapped body made of excelsior or similar material

21 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. Hand carved foam body

4 vote(s)
    4.6%
  3. Foam body made from a carcass cast

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  4. Commercially produced foam body

54 vote(s)
    62.1%
  5. Other (please explain)

5 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

I thought this would be a good compliment to the artificial vs real head poll.

2. B KENNEDY

B KENNEDY “THE YOUNG GUN”

OHIO
    I only ever see mallards, wood ducks and Canadian geese so I normally have the catalog bought bodies in a box under the workbench. Find the right size and move on. I think it was in the old forum that some one labeled this snap together taxidermy. LOL

3. JonHarleTX

JonHarleTX Ya'll hear that. George just signed in. Quick Hide

I voted other as I can related to all of the choices..

I wrap bodies when I am out of foam
    I have mold for the most common forms which I pour myself
    If I'm just mounting one per year, I'm not against purchasing a large form for something like a swan or crane
    Turkey forms are more econmical to purchace vs making your own
    Raptors and those tiny little things I usually just carve myself... it's quicker and the foam is sturdier...

so basically it all just depends on my needs for that particular bird...

Jon~

4. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Ditto to what Jon said.

5. Muthagoose

Muthagoose You do your thing, I'll do mine.....

Turkeys,swans,peacocks I buy. Ducks and geese I pour my own, Pennies for a duck bodie and no back order....
    Simple enough to make fibre glass 2 part molds from carcass or carved and they last forever....
    Sounds like Kiwi's words.........

6. I buy all commercial. Don't have the time or knowledge for wrapping, carving or pouring bodies.

7. 90% of the time I use Stefan Savides' bodies and a Foredom tool and I will wrap my own the remaining 10 % of the time.

8. BeckyBird

BeckyBird My Baby Bluebirds

I wrap my bodies, except for flying geese, turkeys, and other huge heavy birds (they get commercial foam bodies). However, I would really like to get into pouring my own bodies someday......

9. I buy mine from another taxidermist. I give him driftwood and he gives me the bodies and casts the heads I need. Or I will buy commercial

10. Brian F

Brian F New Member

typically on small birds I'll either carve foam, or wrap body. medium to large I'll use commercial if available, if not carve/wrap. turkeys/geese/sandhills commercial. I think i missed the other poll, but i typically use commercial heads on waterfowl, natural on upland. sometimes use natural on waterfowl either b/c I'm out, or jsut don't feel like ordering

11. Jims Wildlife Studio

Jims Wildlife Studio Full Time PA Taxidermist

I will normally use a commerically produced foam body but do not use the foam neck's. I wrap all of my own.

12. I use a combination of commercially produced foam forms and wrap some of my own, I do which ever I need to do to get the fit and pose I need.

13. I make a template off the body, and carve my own from the blue flotation billets.

14. Trina

Trina Guest

I carve my own, cast my own, and use premade bodies...
    New at the latter 2... but so fun.