1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Nature Goddess, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

Thats good, there is a couple of things we can agree on, There is NO "good enough" for me at my shop either, and i always use braided rope on my panels, like the above pictures, i think it "spruced" it up. Like i siad before, good luck on your "breakthrough " endeavor, Brian Harness will be competeing again next year, as well as a few others who do really tight work, ;)

2. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

Leslie, if you put rope on that one, use an 'old' looking rope rather than a pretty one. That would help with the rustic look of it. Maybe one that looks like it came off a boat or something... weathered look. i personally don't like the gold braid, is too fancy and fake looking to me.

3. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

Most all of the braided rope i use is "rustic" wolfie, i dont like the shiny stuff over what i use, i like rustic myself.

Leslie, you can buy that old looking antiqued braided rope at the craft stores, that is where i get mine.

4. trapperr

trapperr New Member

Thank You Fur The Compliment Antler Addict

5. Jome

Jome New Member

Looks good but next time you need a plaque let me know I will make you one. Not saying I am better then the guy who made this one but his lines don't run to smooth.

6. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

I think, if you look, I already had most of the prep work done. I am sure it will look great. Also it should work for a ped. I cut all of mine that way.

7. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

That's cool Russ, I guess I'm just not a shiny, fancy, glitter type girl :) Sam bought some of that weathered rope and we're going to put it in the corners of the cabin walls, just for something different ;)

8. red oak

red oak New Member

nature goddess if you want some small capes that are already tanned i have some you can have . then you could save the nice cape for after you get some experince. are you going to the show next weekend?

9. LightsOut

LightsOut New Member

I think you did a great job on your antler mount, you should be proud. :)

10. GreenBullhead

GreenBullhead Peep peeep peep C:

omg it looks great Leslie! I do agree that the rope would help it out, the non-gold would seem to work better for this particular set, I think. ;D

11. Brian

Brian Active Member

x2

12. swamp buck

swamp buck New Member

great job

13. I think it looks nice.

14. Good job, Leslie! Congrats on getting your first taxidermy project done. :) I hope you have many more positive experiences to add to this one!

15. i have done MANY and for your first i think it looks good !

16. Bobbym1232

Bobbym1232 New Member

I personally don't like the rope look all that well. I try and get the fabric/leather all the way to the base of the antler so that there is no gap to hide with rope. I like the "simple" look better. If I do have a gap I need to hide then I use rustic rope.

Looks good Leslie.

17. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I agree with Bobby, I don't like the rope, rope looks gay! I hate those friggin things anyways, that's why I price them at a $150 so I don't have to mess with them, but you still get 8-10 people a year that want them. BUT when I do have to do them I make sure the leather goes all the way up so i don't have to use that gay looking rope!

Leslie, I have some driftwood boards I use when I do have to do those antler mounts. They're exactly like the ones I use on europeans, just smaller to compliment the size of an antler mount. I'll send you one with your squirrel & antelope horns this week. You did a good job on that one though :)

18. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

I have always thought the braided rope crap looks good on those walmart sold cheap azz antler plaques right where it belongs(sorry if that hurts anyones feelings but I am just saying it looks cheap and over done to me and as MP puts it down right gay looking). if its a good tight fit like your is why add to it.

your part looks great to me but the panel must go. Did you tuck the seams in, or just fold them, or is it just the light...it looks nice however you did it.

19. trapperr

trapperr New Member

I Don't Know, I Think The Braid Gives It A Finished Look And My Customers Like It , God Knows They Pay Enough Fur MeTo Do Them . To Each There Own , By The Way , Watch That "Gay" Word , Got Me Into Hot Water On Here................

20. I think the mount looks great. You did an excelent job streatching.

I agree Trapperr All my customer's ask for the rope. Of coarse I DO NOT use Gold, I just don't like the look of it. The most asked for color is black. I just finished one that I did with a blue rope and the customer was very pleased.