1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Anyone use WB place

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by mount it, Jan 27, 2007.

1. mount it

mount it My Mount

Has any one used WB place for buckskin (hair off) Tanning. I have 4 hides there now. They have reasonable tanning prices and make garmets or gloves also. Randall

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Yes, but I don't recommend them for taxidermists. When you send a hide to them, they measure it and send you one "OF EQUIVALENT SIZE". I learned the hard way by sending a mule deer hide in to have tanned hair-on. I got back a small whitetail and had some heated words on species and "equivalent size". That's when I learned that if I wanted MY hide returned to me, I'd better send them to Quil Ceda Tannery in Marysville, Washington. They do hair on and hair off and their hair off is some of the best you'll find anywhere. The also die leather and you can buy doeskin in several colors to do antler mounts. Carolina Fur does get my hair on hides now and they do a good job of returning a soft pliable hide.

3. shaneb

shaneb New Member

live about 30 minutes away. go there to get skins to do my antler plaques, George I shoot five to ten deer a year and get them all tanned there, and I always get my original hide back.

4. jrosbor

jrosbor Member

I also have, and still do use them. They are a tannery just like any other tannery. They do make mistakes, like sending you someone else's hide. I have sent them deer skins that were shot with a "razorback-5" broadhead, that leaves a very distinct pattern. In those cases, I KNOW I got the same skin back.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Hey Guys, Look, once bitten, twice shy. I order gloves and garments from them, but they don't touch my customers work. Maybe they've changed their method, but I'm not going to be the one to learn that they didn't.

6. mount it

mount it My Mount

Thanks for all the replys. Randall