1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wonder what this fish really looked like?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by joeym, Aug 3, 2009.

1. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

[​IMG]

IT'S A STATE RECORD
    Fisheries biologists with the Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks recently corrected a nearly half-century old mistake, and awarded Hunter Yarborough of Jackson a state record.

It took creation of a new record division to do it.

Yarborough caught a bass in a Raymond pond in 1964 that weighed 11.45 pounds. He sent paperwork to the old Mississippi Game and Fish Commission, which apparently misplaced it.

According to current fisheries director Ron Garavelli, Yarborough found his copy of the paperwork and delivered it and the mount of the fish to the agency in 2008.

After sending samples of scale counts and photos to 22 fish experts around the country, the fish was identified as a cross between a largemouth bass and a Kentucky spotted bass.

"We're calling it a hybrid black bass and it is a state record," Garavelli said.

2. Gina

Gina New Member

man what a meal! :eek:

Attached Files:

3. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

i was under the impression that LM's and spots couldn't hybridize??

4. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

is that not what they call a "mean mouth" ??? i know they have meanmouths on tablerock, but i am not sure what the cross is.

5. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

A meanmouth is a smallie/spot hybrid. They are awesome and I want to do one pretty bad, I'm just not sure anyone would know what it was. LOL

6. Russ of V.O.W.T

after i typed that i realized that i DID remember LOL, yep guys down here catch a few every summer, but they take pics and turn em loose. I think they are neat looking fish, and from what i hear, fight like you got a shark on LOL

7. Anybody get the name of who the taxidermist was that did the mount >>>>????? If the guy still had all the other paperwork,he must know who mounted it also.......just wondering..... ;)

8. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

The article did not say...it was mounted 45 years ago...that dermist has probably moved on to that big studio in the sky!

9. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

I think that was George's first fish LOL

10. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

now I want to see a meanmouth photo. LOL

11. X2

12. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

well since x2 I just had to look and on the tnfish site I found one...pretty cool...sorry to hyjack Joeym

http://www.tnfish.org/PhotoGalleryFish_TWRA/FishPhotoGallery_TWRA/pages/MeanmouthBassHybridSmallmouthSpottedNorrisNegus_jpg.htm

13. Wow Joey....thanks for the link !!! Lots of awesome pics....... ;)

14. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

They can closely resemble a kentucky, or they can resemble a smallie. They come in a variety of color phases. I like the green ones, similar to the top and bottom photos. Cool fish, that's for sure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(nest to a regular spotted bass)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Russ of V.O.W.T

i like the one in the 2nd pic myself Cole. ;)

16. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

X2...excellent...an reference photo