1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

anyone use bascal s for their pickle?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Fur Reel Creations, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Fur Reel Creations

Fur Reel Creations New Member

i only tan small game that i get in and send the big game to the tannery. i use 3.5 oz of bascal s per gallon of water, 16 oz of salt per gallon, skin prep nbu, and about a 1/4 to a 1/2 oz of aluminum sulfate per gallon in my pickle. i get a 1.5 to 2.0 ph with this pickle solution and sets the hair tight but my skins seem to shrink up a little. these are small game skins in question like bobcats, yotes, i flesh them with my pressure washer really well, to where you can see blue epdermis in some places, salt for 48 hours, rehydrate, make sure the skins are clean and then into the pickle for 24 hours. i take them out and thin down the face, the neck, then check for any missed fleshing spots on the body and legs. and then back to the pickle for 48 hrs. i dont take these skins to a fleshing machine and shave them down like i would a deer be cause after i pressure wash them they are really thin already except the neck and face which i hand do. after the pickle i wash in cold water and then neutralize for 30 minutes. then another cold water shower and let dry for 30 minutes and then roll it up in a towel and then on with the warmed up liquatan... havent had any problems except some times they lose up to 2 inches in the girth no matter how much i stretch and break em. are you supposed to do something after the pickle to realx the hide so that it will plump back up to its original size? im no tanning expert but from what ive read all pickles shrink the skin somewhat. also would like to hear what yall think about using this kind of pickle or similar pickle. should i switch to saftee acid? am i using to much alum sulfate?