1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

skinning included

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by skullclnr, Aug 10, 2009.

1. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

How many of you include skinning in the price of a life size mount or is it a seperate charge? Do you let your customers know fo this inculsion/exclusion up front?

2. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I include it in the price.

3. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

I INCLUDE EVERYTHING in the price ;)

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Lifesize WHAT? If you're talking small game, that's part of the price. If you're talking moose,deer, antelope or bear, that ain't part of the deal.

5. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

What are YOU CHARGING ??? ;D LOL

6. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

That's very true George. I was thinking smaller animals. AFWS, you should charge an hourly rate. I charge $40/hour.

7. Jim D.

Jim D. Member

I'm with George on this one!

8. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

Lifesize coyote.

9. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

For skinning or mounting(I get around $10 hour for mounting SAD :'( ) ??? Either way I haven't had to run across that issue yet( big game lifesize) ;)

10. George

Skinning would be included. I raised my prices on small game long ago to compensate for this and the disposal of the carcasses. If you haven't, you should.

11. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

Dang I don't like to be wrong. Okay here's the best way to look at it ,If it's something you would EXPECT to get WHOLE(Coyote,fox,bobcat,otter, anything that size) include in price ;) If it's something crazy like a MOOSE charge extra ;) LOL (I don't SEE anybody taking a MOOSE to get skinned by a taxidermist) ::)

12. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

Great, thanks everyone.

13. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

That's the point. Let someone else do it ;) :D

14. George

Haven't been in the business long, have you AFWS??? I've had moose, a bison, several whitetails and one damned HUGE longhorn steer brought to the shop on a roll-back bed truck ON A SUNDAY. I told him I don't skin animals out and he said he wanted it lifesize and he'd PAY me to skin it. He said he'd help and dispose of the meat. I told him $250 in cash, he said he'd give me $300 if I just added it to the bill. I'm a taxidermy whore.

15. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

Nope only 2 1/2 years ;D I hope I don't see a FREAKIN WHOLE longhorn steer come to my shop ::) LOL

16. JSeiler

JSeiler Active Member

Just think of the payday

17. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    No George, not a Taxidermy Whore ... a Taxidermy Businessman! Other than full deer brought in during the regular hunting season, the only other large "game" type animals to come in whole have been Black Bear, a Grizzly, and various Lions, Lioness, Leopards and a couple of whole Cougars ... these were all caged animals, and I charged a couple of hundred bucks skinning fee.

John.

18. JSeiler

JSeiler Active Member

When I was reading your post John I was thinking who on earth would ship a whole grizzly to Ohio for you to skin and mount lol, until I read they were caged lol. Could you imagine the shipping charges for a whole grizzly?

19. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Yeah ... that would be the limit! No ... there are several owners and breeders of exotics that have to put animals down from time to time, and some of them ... not many mind you ... but some of them want to have a favorite preserved rather than buried. Compared to an African Lion, the Grizzly is a Herculean mammal to skin. A lot of fat and roly-poly carcass ... especially those pen raised, captive kept specimens. Whoo! They are loaded! You start out on a skinning table and it ends up rolling onto the floor! I've only skinned one Grizzly, and that was enough! I don't envy the guides who skin them out in the wilds for their hunting clients, I can tell you that! Man, those guys earn their dollars!

John.

20. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

The thing is if somebody wants something bad enough they will pay what ever it takes. As long as they are willing to pay me what I'm asking, I'll skin anything.