1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Casting Small fish.

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Hoss0902, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Hoss0902

Hoss0902 I drink to make other people seem more interesting

I have some small saltwater fish that I want to cast.
    I tried bondo and resin, but the scales stick to it.
    Tried Vaseline (melted) and it messed with detail.
    I have never really tried silicone, but I kinda want that flexibility.
    any other Idea?
    Thanks,
    Hoss

2. Mike B.

Mike B. New Member

Hoss,
    Are you trying to make a Mold or casting? IF you are trying to make a mold you can use silicone basically the same way you did the bondo resin method. You will just need some type of jacket or mother mold over it to help hold it's shape.
    How small are the fish you are trying to make a mold of?
    There are some tutorial's posted in the molding and casting section if you have not already seen them.
    Feel free to pm me with any questions.

3. Hoss0902

Sorry, I am still try to learn the terms...lol
    I am molding small tropical saltwater fish, They anywhere between 2.5"- 6"

Would you use silicone?

4. In that size I would use Silicone.
    Saltwater fish will degrade rapidly due to the oils in the body, silicone will get the detail and the mold will be made faster.

5. Mike B.

Mike B. New Member

Those smaller 2.5 inch fish you could get by without the mother mold. you could make a pocket type mold like Pescado (Paul B) did in his breakthrough article.
    You can get a 2lb kit of silicone for around $30 you will want to use a tin based silicone.
    If you get me your address or email I can send you a flyer with the pricing for Innovative Polymers material.

6. Which issue of Breakthrough is the article on making a pocket mold?

7. Hoss0902

Yeah I don't get Breakthrough.
    Can you explain?

Thanks
    Hoss

8. mammelman

mammelman New Member

Sounds like your just getting into molding. A cheap way to learn is just use 100% clear silicone you get in a tube at walmart etc. You can mix with mineral spirits to thin out so it spreads easier. build up your mold and use a bondo mix for a jacket. Cheap,easy,and will get you more prepared to use the rtv's without the cost.

9. Mike B.

Mike B. New Member

Hoss,
    it was an article on fin molding but the same technique can be used for your small fish.
    I'll have to look up the issue. I'll send you an email of the process.

Triple R
    It was either the fall or winter issue last year. I will have to look it up to find out.

10. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

Shame on you Hoss!!

11. GreenBullhead

GreenBullhead Peep peeep peep C:

Marking this for later use!!

12. jknuth,

i see you would push to use silicone on a fish this size for the fact of better detail and faster drying, what do you use for a catalyst with silicone??? and are you using 100% silicone? what is the drying time, any secrets would be great....

i molded a grouper last night that my wife caught using your crappie tutorial method and it came out great!!! will post when completed...!!!

13. The silicone I would use would be a RTV silicone similar to what Mike B suggested.
    I normally only use 100% silicone for rocks and base work. Occasionally I will use it for fish heads and mouth plugs.
    Go with high quality molding mats for a full fish though.