1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fleshing Machine Safety

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Rhino, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

I have had a couple of Pm's lately, from a few guys, and Gals, that are getting there first fleshing machine. I would like to see if some of us, can give a few safety pointers, based on past experience.

1. I dont know where to buy those fleshing gloves, since I have have never used em, so could somebody please post that info.
    2. holding the skin: when fleshing or shaving, keep all your fingers, in a tight group. Here is a visual. Stick your hands out in front of you, with the fingers spread, and the nails towards you. I know this sounds funny, but, twist your right, wrist towards the right, and your left wrist, towards the left. You should have your 2 thumbs, sticking straight toward the sky. Bring all your fingers together, except the thumbs. Grab the hide, and scoup up the skin, then lay your thumb, on top of your index finger.(the skin, will be between your thumb, and index finger. Your thumb, and your pinky, on your right hand, are usually going to get cut the worst, from not keeping your fingers together.
    3. never reach in front of the machine, with your right hand.

Yall keep em coming!

2. scpol

scpol Wholesale Bird Taxidermy....Fan of Mike & Harry

Waterdude Rick sells the kevlar gloves on here.

3. Rhino

Keep em coming!

1.When fleshing or shaving HEAVY skins, be especially carefull. The increased weight of the skin, requires more force, exerted by you, while shaving. A skin, is 3 or 4 times more likely to slip from your hand, because of the increased weight. You, at the same time, are exerting more force, to make a cut, because of that weight. Right hand slips, while picking up a heavy skin, plus exerting more force, you have a greater potential to make a nasty cut, to your right hand! P.S.- you should be standing(or sitting), on the right hand side of your machine. Pulling from left to right, your right hand, will usually suffer the worst injury's, since the lip is curled toward the left, and you are pulling toward the right. Left hand cuts, tend to be straight in, and don't take away a HUNK of your skin!

2. Skins that are not re hydrated fully, are more likely to cause you injury, than others. Again, more force exerted, and more probability for lost grip.

Come on, guys and Gals. I know there has to be alot of folks out there, that are willing to share a few no-no's, when it comes to your machine operation!?

4. Rhino

NEVER learn to shave, with one of those "hogger" lips on the knife! :eek: Tell who ever grinds your knife, I WANT A SMALL LIP!

5. Keep them big ol thumbs UP!

6. fur man

fur man New Member

the best and simplest is keep your left hand on the left and your right hand on the right...never reach across the machine. most bad cuts are from being careless. most of mine are from detail fleshing with my finger underneath the lips and carefully shaving the lips. sometimes i cut a hole but it also means my finger gets it too. It is the best motivation to not cut holes...lol

7. WBB793

WBB793 New Member

Just healing up from a CHUNK out of right thumb. My son came in my shop and I turned to talk to him and put my thumb right into that sucker. Bled for a hour!! I tell my family to announce themselves before they come in because you can be startled and cut yourself, when your hunkered down and shaving fast!! I totally agree with all the posts. I have done all of it probaly once atleast in 20 yrs. I get cut anymore from going to fast and getting lax, then I get bit!! My Dad always said if you lose respect for machinery it will get you or kill you!!

8. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

Position your cape so that you arent trying to hold up a bunch weight,
    Position your machine so that you arent hunched over it like a troll.. Have it at a hieght that is comfortable
    Having a block or something to put a foot up on helps while standing
    Or d like me and have a bar stool (nicely padded) that has a bar for your feet so you can sit while shaving..

9. Never shave without good pair of gloves.

10. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

keep the blade sharp.
    It's just like a knife, you are more likely to get hurt with a dull knife than a sharp one because of the extra force you are using trying to cut with it.

11. red oak

red oak New Member

treat it like the dangerous machine that it is. don't daydream :eek:

12. fur man

fur man New Member

As a wise man once told me, "if your going to be dumb, You gotta be tough."

13. X2. I have not cut myself since I started wearing a cut proof glove on my left hand. As far as safety and not technique, I feel this is the most important.

14. Galen

Galen 218-263-7177 www.EdgewaterTaxidermy.com

I like that one LOL.

Here is another. When the head don’t work the Whole Body Suffers.

AND yes that is for sure make sure the Family knows not to come flying in the door . And yell for you. As said above.

I have two doors in my building ,, I have my machine close to one of them .. I LOCK it when am using my Machine. That way in case the kids or anyone forgets, they realize it and have to walk around to the front side of my shop into the display room and then my shop . By then I normally see them.

Oh here is some MORE advice for everyone. If you ever DIE in an ELEVATER. PUSH THE UP Button.

15. bowhuntnnut

bowhuntnnut 210-260-0190

I also wear a set of kevlar sleeves to go with my gloves. They're available at grainger.

16. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Somebody has to say it......

[​IMG]

17. This is what I wear, when shaving on my machine.

[​IMG]

This is the one I use to wear, but it is just to bulky.

[​IMG]

18. Come on D, don't you remember your sage advice.....

DONT TOUCH THE BLADE

19. Yeah, It will bite you every time.

20. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

has someone been playing with the magic zap button again? hehehehe