1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

are soda crystals and borax the same thing????

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by EmzEffect, Aug 13, 2009.

1. EmzEffect

EmzEffect New Member

i bought some soda crystals because in the uk i dont think we sell borax - im guessing its the same thing, as the spec is pretty much the same:
    soda crystals:
    for clothes washing,
    laundry water softener,
    soaking pans, cleaning floor tiles, burnt food etc,
    removes moss from paths, degrease barbeque's
    unblocks drains.
    do not use soda crystals with aluminum
    store below 25 degrees c.
    contains sodium carbonate decahydrate greater than 30%

does any one know if i can just use this instead of borax? otherwise its gonna cost around £6 to get it, rather that 56p 8|
    thanks, emz

2. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Not the same thing....

Soda crystals is sodium carbonate.

Borax is Sodiium tetraborate...

3. EmzEffect

EmzEffect New Member

ok but do you think it will do the same thing??

4. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

NO!

5. EmzEffect

EmzEffect New Member

haha, well that was silly of me then :S
    thanks for the info, im off to ebay to order some borax XD

6. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Over here (USA) we can buy Borax at our Grocery stores. I'm not sure if the UK carries it - but ours is labeled "20 Mule Team Borax". It's usually in our laundry sections of the store.

7. EmzEffect

EmzEffect New Member

yeh i had a look there for it, and also asked and they say they dont tend to sell it :/ ah well, thanks for the info anyways :)

8. After a quick google search, most people are saying you can buy it at "Boots". I am understanding that this is some sort of pharmacy store. Could be the counterpart of our pharmacy store called "Socks". NO, I'm just kidding, but that's what I found out....try that

9. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Try this. Borax is also used as an insecticide for ants. You may want to check with a garden center and see what they might have. A pharmacy(I believe you call them chemists) is also possibility, if you haven't tried there yet. Also remember to use the "sodium tetraborate" term and make sure that you check the label of what ever you look at to make sure that's the major component

10. EmzEffect

EmzEffect New Member

awesome, ill definitely look :D i never even thought of that; i really appreciate you researching(i thought i was good at researching XD) thanks very much :D

11. EmzEffect

EmzEffect New Member

will do, thank you very much for the info :D *writes down sodium tetraborate* haha, ill remember it :3

12. This is the best stuff to use and it is cheap too...i always have to fight with the wife over it...she want to use it for the laundry and i need it for my tanning

13. JE

JE Well-Known Member

Most chemists in the UK sell borax, it is used for laundry purposes amongst other things.

14. I used to buy it from a farmers supply store here in Australia, might be worth trying something similar in the UK.

15. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

http://www.greenshop.co.uk/search/results.html?keywords=borax&osCsid=148jdf2udd5uso5ncekllvpu32

http://www.healthleadsuk.com/house-and-home/cleaning-products/borax-1-kilo.html

16. EmzEffect

EmzEffect New Member

wow! i really appreciate that, thank you very VERY much - i trusted my boyfriend (stupidly) to have a look in boots and a chemist while i was on holiday - he of course didnt look so the link saved me a bit of trouble lol :D