1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rattlesnake mounting - part IV of V

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Kerby Ross, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Once the hide is washed you can then proceed to use whatever tan/treatment you wish. Once tanned/treated you can then proceed to mount it. I like to drill out the eye sockets
    and vents and lip line while the mannikin head is still attached. I use critter clay for the eye sockets. Once the eyes are set (can still be repositioned later) I then
    cut off the mannikin head as it is too large to slide over the neck area. It is imperative that you use some sort of hide paste on reptile skin mounts. I like
    Dynamite 111. Once I slide the skin over the head part I can then glue the head back on. I use 2-part epoxy with a wire. You can also use a little bit
    of critter clay in this area to ensure a smooth joint. I get the head set first, but without gluing the lip line yet. I then start to staple the skin on
    the belly after applying a little bit of hide paste. It is best to start at the head, then go to the tail and work towards the middle.
    I would recommend test fitting so that you know it will fit before stapling. Once it is stapled on the belly I then go back and set the eyes and
    glue the lip line and position the vents. I like to use 2 part epoxy on the lip line as it allows more time to position the skin than with
    super glue or gorilla glue. As with any mount I will come back and check on it for scale alignment and air bubbles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Habitat in Part V

:)

Kerby...

Robert Baker likes this.
  2. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I'm gonna have to try one now. Kerby, your tha man.

3. Tmbrwlf52

Tmbrwlf52 Member

Thanks so much Kerby , just bought my first snake today this is going to be a huge help. GREAT TUTORAIL all around professional.

4. Kerby Ross

Thanks everyone, also

Thanks everyone, also if you have any questions just drop me an e-mail.

Kerby...

5. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

sweet Kerby, i wish for my kids sake these would have been around 2 weeks ago ;D i am sure he will still put it to good use. thanks for taking the time to make this happen. Russ

6. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

You shouldn't have said that Kerby. I'll prolly end up buggin the heck out of you. :D
    You explained it good enough that I "think" I can get it ;)

7. bigyay

bigyay Member

thanks mate :)

8. Kerby Ross

Still have pics.

:)

Kerby...