1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Eye-set on McKenzie 8400 series forms

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by eddieb, Aug 13, 2009.

1. I have mounted deer on two McKenzie 8400 series forms now. Yesterday I mounted this deer on the 84-7122R form.
    I usually mount my deer on Mears forms so I was a little nervous about the shape of the eye socket and the two flat areas in front of it
    which the Mears forms do not have. (The 84-7122L does not have the exact features either.)
    I actually considered sanding the forward brow and the corners of the socket that seemed too flat to me, but
    I went ahead and gave it a shot and decided to work with it. The following photos show what I did. I am curious
    if any other 8400 series users set your eyes like this? Did I interpret the form sculptor's intentions? (I used Meder eyes.)
  2. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I like that series of forms, but I'm not sure what the sculpter had in mind w/ that flat spot you are referring to. I think your eye looks okay, but I would have had it a little less "lazy" (less clay) in the front of the eye. I tried to show the difference in my illustration, if it makes any sense.

Take it for what it's worth, I admire your work and realize you should be giving me the suggestions. ;D

Attached Files:

3. Once again, it looks great.

TIM DUNCAN surry county va

nice work on the eye
  5. nice! Thanks for showing us your eye-set! :)
  6. trapperr

trapperr New Member

I Agree With Ya Cole , The Deer Would Loose That Mean Look , Still A Nice Mount
  7. Thanks everyone for your comments. The mounted photo was taken within minutes of mounting. The finished eye should look more alert.
    I really appreciate the input and other people's opinion!
  8. I really like the markings and color on that face and forehead
  9. srholmes30

srholmes30 Living each and every day

Hi nice photos,great job on the deer looks nice.
  10. mimes

mimes New Member

Eddie, thanks very much for taking the time to take pics and post them on here. I think the deer looks great. I also see exactly what Cole is trying to show. How are you caping your deer. I cape mine burr to burr and cant slip my cape over that eye work without messing it up!
  11. Thanks, mimes. I use a "y" incision about 8" long. I have found that it is easier to do eye work and ear butt work that way.
  12. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

maybe i'm a rebel here, but I like the relaxed look?
    Especially with the bigger, older bucks who have seen years of battle and have the built up scar tissue to show it ??
  13. Kittrell Hill

Kittrell Hill 9 Beard Merriam 2008 Meade Co SD

Me too Bobbi ;)
  14. Me 3 ;D.. I actually prefer a relaxed look on some of the big ol' brutes. Thanks for the photo's.
  15. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I don't mind a relaxed look, I just don't care for the angle of that upper lid.
  16. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

I'm not being a smart ass here Cole, but how do you get a relaxed look without dropping the upper eyelid somewhat?
    I'm serious, I'd like to see the difference between the two and exactly what part of the eye changes??
  17. I actually have a pre-set eye form you can use for comparison against that if you like..the next series of photos might help alleviate the sculpture issue

Attached Files:

18. here is more

Attached Files:

19. and a dead on front shot

Attached Files: