1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Rabies

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Holepuncher, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Holepuncher

Holepuncher New Member

about 3 weeks ago a rabid gray fox was seen next to place, Animal control came out and said by the condition hew as in 24 hours was about all he had left, lats night I was mowing my back pasture and low and beholsd a dead gray fox. except this one is very fresh I would say 2 days tops due to the 100+ temps around here this week. My question can i contract rabies from a dead animal?

2. my understanding is yes, even after it has been frozen if you must skin it avoid all blood and brain matter be careful and wear gloves

3. AH7

AH7 New Member

I think you should just leave it alone! If you want a gray fox skull, I'll send you one! You can get them for a few bucks!

4. Holepuncher

Holepuncher New Member

it's getting burned tonight! Thanks guys

5. leave it be! Don't get rabies its a horrible disease.

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Do not allow any part of the animal to touch you. If you can, build a fire over it where it is to burn it. Use gloves and burn the gloves too. Take fresh soil and cover the area where the animal was laying too as a precaution. The virus will be dead there within 24 hours as it needs body fluids and saliva to survive. Some discussion as to whether the virus dies at temps below live body temperature and within 48 hours on a dead carcass. I wouldn't chance it.

7. Hey Hole Cutter
    You got GREAT advice from all those who responded to your thread-- just as an added convincer, call your local GP medical lady/guy
    and discuss the rabies shots you would need to get if you had been exposed or thought you had--- It's a series of 7 ---some in the buttocks and others in your
    arms---
    Sounds like fun huh??ha, ha
    Listen to Sea Wolf's advice--
    No animal skull is worth all of the above -- and th anxiety of worrying about whether you had contracted the disease--
    ORG

8. Sea Wolf

Not so bad any more. The vaccine is given in the deltoid arm muscle as a series of 3-5 shots. Still .. I hate needles.

9. All is true, the animal dies but rabies DOES NOT. Its recommended you boil skulls for 45 mins to kill it, thats how mean it is. Don't touch the damn thing, let it rot.

10. bone_painter

bone_painter "Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it."

Shouldn't we keep in mind that any skull/specimen we handle could be potentially infected with rabies? The disease lies dormant for a period of time, so even a perfectly healthy looking animal, that was acting completely normal at the time it was trapped/shot, could be a carrier. Especially if you live in a region where rabies is common. Always use precautions no matter what.
    I'm a bit paranoid about the disease since I live in an area where it's common :p Not only that but the black plague is still common around here. A while back some moron woman was hiking on her property and found a freshly dead mountain lion. She hugged it and petted "the poor old thing" (how stupid could you be? ::)) When game & fish tested it, they found it had died from plague. The woman and several of her friends had to be treated, but never became ill.

11. Rubber gloves and your fine. The disease is very fragile, I worked with it for decades and was the states expert on it, we didn't even wear gloves back then, just took care and washed hands. Blood is not a risk, just the CNS tissue. It would have to enter and open would, mucous membranes or be injected (bite, cut). I have several formally rabid skulls. Heat/drying will kill it very fast. Beef bitten by a rabid animal can be slaughtered in X amount of time and sold. Cooking for consumption kills it as would stomach acids. Its a deadly and terrible disease but not easliy contracted. Bitten human has 15% chance of aquiring it, wash wound and it drops down to 1%. It will survive freezing as most viruses will, that how we maintain stock, will last as long as its frozen.

Always handle animals w/ caution as they can have a numer of diseases or parasites(w/ diseases). Normal precautions as common practice. Wear Gloves, wash hands, and no touching nose, eyes, mouth when handling them.

12. Yikes, you guys are scaring me, lol. Some of my collection came from roadkill and who-knows-where...

but other web sites assure you are fine if you are careful. Gloves. No body fluids. All that.

HAS anyone contracted rabies from a dead animal when collecting it?

13. Sea Wolf

If they did. They are dead and can't tell you.