1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

(R.I.P THREAD)I NEED opinions from SERIOUS TOP NOTCH taxidermist

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by AFWS, Aug 15, 2009.

1. hambone82

hambone82 New Member

Re: I NEED opinions from SERIOUS TOP NOTCH taxidermist

Just wanted to add...If you've got another 25K laying around, I'd be willing to teach you how to do business.

2. scpol

scpol Wholesale Bird Taxidermy....Fan of Mike & Harry

BINGO.. ;D ;D

3. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama

I'll do it for 20K, and you will be able to mount a nice deer in 6 to 8 hours to boot. . That is 5 grand cheaper than James C is offering. It's money in your pocket man!

4. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

WEll THAT right there has GOT to be the biggest load of BS Ive ever heard... There isnt a school around that isnt going to advertise, or else how would they get students? And for 25,000 what student wouldnt want to stand up and say with PRIDE what school they went to ESPECIALLY after paying out 25 THOUSAND dollars.. Supposedly signing a paper saying you WOULDNT tell anyone where you went to school sounds awful fishy to me..

This whole thing doesnt make ANY sense anymore... 30 hours to do a deer head, 25,000 school- but cant say where you went, cant posts pics? But want us to hunt them down... This is starting to stink big time LOL..

5. Ron B

Alabama

Leave the kid alone. even the president doesn't want to talk about his schooling...............hmmm we may have a politician on our hands here ;)

6. taxi_grl_ga

taxi_grl_ga Active Member

u guys can teach him how to run his business for $25K but I want to be his acccountant hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

7. taxi_grl_ga

taxi_grl_ga Active Member

if he's foolish enough to pay $25K for taxidermy school i'm sure i can trick more than that away from him on his year end spread! hahaha :) :) :)

8. Ron B

Alabama

Taxi girl,, go find your own sucker.ah, I mean friend.

9. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Makes no sense. Gotta get better at keeping your story straight to make it in politics. LOL

10. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

LMAO Wow so what happened to that paper you had to sign to NOT tell anyone?? Me personally I think your full of Crap.. DId it take you THAT long to find one that you thought we would be awed by, or were you watching TV and seen it?

Your story stinks. Seems more like pot stirring to me..

Ohh better be careful now that you told us who you paid 25,000.00 to teach you, you might get a knock on your door... Or maybe they will sue you for breach of contract LOL>..

11. Mason

Mason Active Member

Gee, Sure thing mason. And thanks for the compliment. I had a lot of time in that piece :D

Now, not sure what the problem is. You went to school for $25,000 Not sure how many years you have said you've done this.(as a business)
    We have spent a few hundred on videos and books. Lots of "time" spent talking with the great folks of this sight, and going to shows.
    We only charge 400+ for shoulder mount deer. BUT we've had about 30 to 40 pieces each year . For the past 2 years.
    Maybe it's your character?

12. Mason

Mason Active Member

Nope wasn't expecting one. Just thought it was deserved. Thats the difference. The difference I see anyhow.
    You can be very good at what you do. But if you have no character or personality. It makes it tough is all.
    Dont usually show my hind end on here. Just struck me wrong sorry folks :-[

13. Re: I NEED opinions from SERIOUS TOP NOTCH taxidermist

You said yourself they were backed up for 2 years. Now there out of business. Which one is it?

14. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I can see them going out for not charging enough but there is also such a thing as pricing yourself right out of business, which sounds like what you are doing.

15. Mason

Mason Active Member

Wow, PA guys charging that?
    SW PA here. No one local charging that here! Not doubting you though. What part of PA?

16. BillFromPa

BillFromPa Active Member

Im friends with alot of Taxis here in PA and I dont know 1 that gets that for a whitetail shoulder mount. My price this year is 525 for a standard closed mouth shoulder mount.

17. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

it sounds to me like your in a low income market area, and if you want those 600 dollar a pop clients, your gonna have to sink some serious cash into advertising, via SCI and venues like that. There is one guy here close to me charging 625 for a deer head, and NONE of them are locals, he brings in 100 shoulder mounts a year or so on just whitetails, not counting his exotics, and all of his clients are due to his contacts via SCI, this is straight from his mouth while i was visiting with him in his shop. So your choices are to cater to the locals (work faster for less money) or advertise the hell out of yourself via these venues (lots of money in memberships to clubs like SCI ect.... , website ?, magazine adds.............)

thats how i see it, i talked today with a gentleman from Poteau Oklahoma who is getting 325 for a deer, we went to the same school, have the same training, and he is only in his 2nd year, i asked him why he was so cheap, and his reply was "its all our market area will bare". I told him to drive the market up by doing quality work for a bit higher price, because he said himself he is covered up with work, your in the opposite situation it seems, your prices are higher than everyone elses by so much, you have driven yourself out of business in that market area.

18. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

AFWS...

I spent lots of years of my life in school, eventually earning a Master's Degree...when I think about the suggestions that many professors and instructors made, this old adage comes to mind..."Them that can, do...those that can't, teach". There is a "real world" outside of all teaching institutions. For a guy in Arkansas to call an instructor in PA about price suggestions is ludicrous. Prices vary nationwide, and you happen to live about dead center in "bottom price" country...I know, because I'm right next door in MS.

19. mjvaden

mjvaden New Member

Here is some of AFWS's work LOL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

if a deer takes 30hours and a duck 22 hours this wonderful piece must of taken 100 plus hours. Don't laugh that must be a $3000 mount! LOL

20. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Let me get this straight. You went to a phoney "accredited" school that shilled you for $25 AND YOU GO BACK FOR ADVICE???? What a schmuck. I haven't seen your work, but I already know it's not worth $600. The reason I know that is that your customers are telling you so. Perhaps there IS someone in Pennsylvania chargeing that amount, but I know some of the best up there and THEY AREN'T CHARGING THAT. If you take that long to do a duck and a deer, what the hell WOULD you do if you got 150 mounts in a year?

Joey, I'm SHOCKED at your remarks! ROTFLMAO. Here I thought you were the mild mannered type and you're a shark hiding in the shadows. LOL.

AFWS, you should've spent that $25K and gotten a REAL ACCREDITED EDUCATION - especially business education. Jim Tucker and I often butt heads on pricing, but this time I agree with him. Sure you should charge as much as the market will bear, but within reason. If "everyone" around you is charging $350, then you should have started at $400.

As far as those "instructors" at PIT, I'm not a big fan of that crew. I don't give a damn about how many "shows" they're on or how often they're on TV. I'm not sure they know what "competition quality" is. Just today I got a call from one of their "graduates" asking me if he could come down to my shop and watch. What the hell is that all about. Here I am doing hack commercial work and I have a GRADUATE wanting to come watch me. What the hell did he "graduate" from. I wonder how many people flunk out of PIT?

First thing you need to do is to STOP TANNING YOUR HIDES. Send them out and have them professionally done. They're a helluva lot cheaper by the hour than you're making and they're bound to save you time. Time is a commodity with a finite lifespan. There are only 24 hours to the day and you're obviously not taking advantage of them.

Does that coyote have 5 legs? That's truly a weird looking posture for a wild canid.