1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

(R.I.P THREAD)I NEED opinions from SERIOUS TOP NOTCH taxidermist

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by AFWS, Aug 15, 2009.

1. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

Re: I NEED opinions from SERIOUS TOP NOTCH taxidermist

Dang I took it the RIGHT WAY and I'm apparently not NORMAL.So no wonder I'm so confused about everything ELSE.

2. Brian Claar

Brian Claar New Member

You just don't know how to take good advice. You were not being attacked in the beginning. Now you jut look like a fool.

3. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

I AGREE, I don't know the big deal about $25,000 for schooling ,but I think I got a piece of paper that's got it broke down.

4. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

the big deal is YOU keep bringing that number up, nobody cares what you spent to go to school, many have spent far less and gotten far more for their money. Nobody cares "how its broken down" . You asked for advice, you got it, then became defensive and now here we are. hell if you had done any leg work at all before spending somebody elses 25 grand, you could have saved them 10 to 15 thousand and went to one on one workshops and been better off in the end.

5. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

You oughta take him under your wing & train him Russel Sprout :)

6. Russ of V.O.W.T

hell mike, i am NOT a "top notch" taxidermist, however i am "serious" about my work LOL i dont qualify as a "serious top notch" taxidermist. He will have to find another "mentor" , i dont think i could handle his "tude" arouind me for very long without smackin somebody on their arse ::)

7. rj9289

rj9289 Buck the system, be an individual, be who you are.

25,000 on a school? 600 per deer, 30 hrs per deer.....subtract material + overhead....20 hrs a duck.......etc

YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING! if i spent 25,000 on a school and i wasnt paying myself but 7 or 8 an hour id feel so stupid.
    to be comepletly honest i didnt even go to a school and i taught myself 90% of what i know, i sure as hell pay myself more than 8 an hour.

just my little two cents worth........

AFWS, SHUT UP AND LISTEN! trust me, if you would listen to some of the things these guys were saying you'd be a lot better off.
    it took me a while to figure it out but im sure glad i did. the more you talk the deeper you dig. ;)

Remember AFWS........

shhhhhhhh....

shhhhhhhh...

8. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

Your missing the whole point YOU are the one who said you spent 25,000 to go to this well known blah blah school... Yet you dont have the skill that some beginners do.. FOr 25,000 you dang sure should know how to mount stuff with some skill.. Your mounts that were posted here are a little above beginner level.. Yet you want to charge TOP NOTCH prices.. You are NOT top notch, you are just a beginner who obviously got screwed out of 25,000... OR you are too dense to learn and threw your money away..

IM SELF TAUGHT and can do better than you - and you spent 25,000 dollars and 8 months with someone teaching you.... That is a horrible shame..

Whats that saying- Money doesnt buy everything?? This is definitely the truth here.. You might as well have thrown it off a bridge...

9. rj9289

rj9289 Buck the system, be an individual, be who you are.

x2

10. Re: I NEED opinions from SERIOUS TOP NOTCH taxidermist

AFWS, I taught myself, do it part time, own another buiss, been taking customers going on my third year now and do not have the problems you do. Instead of spending 25 G's to learn, I made that last year, part time. I take it very serious.

11. Russ of V.O.W.T

Karli, he DID NOT pay for it, he got the money from a "family freind" that his brother has taken money from as well according to one of his previously deleted posts in this thread. Theres another saying out there about "appreciating a hard earned dollar" and i think this may be part of the problem at hand. Lack of appreciation for where that money came from and went into.

12. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

This is one of my $750.00 deer heads, couldn't find one of the $600.00

Attached Files:

13. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Well, I see you got taken for $25,000 to think you were a taxidermist and then turned around and conned a customer into thinking that mount was worth $750. P.T. Barnum never knew how right he was.

14. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

Re:(pic added) I NEED opinions from SERIOUS TOP NOTCH taxidermist

Come on people it's was SHARK WEEK, a week or so ago.I brought the CHUM now bring the SHARKS

15. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Re: (pic added)I NEED opinions from SERIOUS TOP NOTCH taxidermist

Looks good to me. The nodule bumps are a little too pronounced for my taste but I am just as guilty as you are for exagerating them. But in all honesty, I really like the deer.

Now here's the deal, is that deer worth &750 or even $600.....that is 100% up to the customer to decide. You will need to really hit the SCI crowd to get that amount of $$$$'s though......rich oil people in Houston I do work for would even blush at that price when they can get the same quality for $500.

People don't mind spending money for quality, but getting ****ed brings up a whole nother matter to them :)

16. Russ of V.O.W.T

thats basically what i told him in the other post Mike. I dont think the deer is bad at all, however at 750 bucks, he has probably got a full 40 hours in it, and the competitors in the area are doing deer that people love for anywhere from 325 to 500 bucks, so there wont be much of a call for a 40 hour 750 dollar commercial deer. ;)

17. woodmanDan

woodmanDan New Member

Well,I'm the SCI crowd,on the lower end.LOL

$550 is about tops I've spent,and that is also a good number for some of the small/medium plains game(African)

You will need to be a whole lot more savy to either;(A)break into that market,or(B) to sell $750 deer mount.

People willing to buy higher end mounts,are that way because they are smart with their $$$$$ to begin with.

18. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

Red 1. NO BULL you like it?
    Red 2. Can I do that for $350.00? If not what would be a price that's not CRAZY but still make good money for the quality I'm at NOW? People down here is getting half that quality at $350.00 :-\
    Red 3. SOME people don't MIND paying more ,that has got $h1t for $350.00

19. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Pretty solid moutn by the looks of the photo BUT I would have to see some good close ups of the finishing work to tell if it was worth anywhere near $750....let alone $500.

20. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I have to add......If you live in a depressed area it doesn't matter HOW GOOD your stuff is. There will be a LIMITED number of people who could or are willing to pay it. PERIOD