1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

(R.I.P THREAD)I NEED opinions from SERIOUS TOP NOTCH taxidermist

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by AFWS, Aug 15, 2009.

1. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

Re: (pic added)I NEED opinions from SERIOUS TOP NOTCH taxidermist

Only pic I have of that deer(long gone) ;) It's not $750.00 trying to get ya'll off my back about $600.00 ;D and if ya'll do think I'm CRAZY about $600.00 for a deer head there is a guy 30 minutes away that's charging $700.00 for full strut turkey and mines only $600.00 ??? but yet his other prices are lower than mine :-\ so don't get that one

2. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

well, as for the turkey prices, i think ALOT of guys are higher on them than deer, i know i am, in fact i am 200 dollars higher on turkeys in strut than i am on a shoulder mount deer. Hell Andy Campbell who is a master with turkeys will mount your bird for you on a base for 425 last time i checked, and is only an hour from here, he is probably that close to you as well.

another thing to realize is if people are not bringing you thier deer, because of price, they are likely going to the same place for their turkey that they are taking the deer to as well. I have alot of customers who bring everything here, because its their "one stop shop" from all angles of the market. Makes it easy on them, and great for me ;D

3. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Nice, but I don't think it's a $600 deer at least without seeing a close up pic. Do you close-ups of other deer?
    Turkeys take me 3 times longer than a deer and my expenses are just as much if not more than a turkey (I only use freeze dried heads). However, I can't price turkeys 3 times higher, I'm already the highest here on them. Some will pay, some won't. I also don't like doing turkeys, maybe he's the same way and that's one reason he's higher. He may also be subbing them out so has to charge more.

4. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Maybe he doesn't like turkeys. I call that a NUISANCE fee. Charge through the nose for species you don't like....enough to make you like one if you get it.

5. Becky P

NUISANCE fee, LOL, I like that

6. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

I wouldn't pay $600.00 for that but, I guess if you can convince people to do it then good for you.

7. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

The weird thing he's getting all kinds of turkeys at $700.00 and I just got my FIRST this year ::) so if people is looking at PRICE and not QUALITY you would think I would get MORE :-\ I use freeze dried only ;)

8. Becky P

If you lower your price a bit to say $400, you may get more work, granted you won't make as much BUT you're not making anything now either. Build up a customer base THEN start raising your prices.

9. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I charge $750 for a Turkey & i'm a hack. will be mounting one I fleshed today tomorrow & can post pics for you in a week or so. I think it's worth every bit of $750 and the customer's getting it back with a 6 month turn around.

I'm in a town of 3,500 people, the 3 other "main" Taxidermist's are all under $500 and one is $350 for Turkeys, they got "0" turkeys in, I got 4....a lot of what you get depends on how you promote yourself & present yourself to the customer both on the phone & face to face. To here me talk to them I am the Turkey God & can pass off a good enought tight mount to where they think so also :)

10. Re: (pic added)I NEED opinions from SERIOUS TOP NOTCH taxidermist

This sounds like the government...so many people trying to teach them how to run things...

I am a self taught hobbyist and whereas I may not do much for business its just for fun at the moment...

If i ever get any mounts/work entered as amatuer in competitions and win, i may consider a part time home based business.

11. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

ok...maybe it's just me, but I pretty much take pictures of EVERY deer that goes through my shop, so why do you only have ONE pic?
    OH DUMB ME.....I'm just a part time taxidermist that doesn't take the craft seriously........disregard my post. ::)

12. nibjones

I do the same thing, Bobbi. Everything that leaves my shop, gets its picture taken.

13. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

I take pics of 90% of my work ,but I don't take CLOSEUPS I take pics like the one I posted. I'm not even gonna go THERE on your last sentence.

14. DavidB

DavidB Member

someone posted wanting to know what to charge for a lifesize grizzly. Maybe you can help them out, maybe $30,000 and about 2.5 yrs work...

15. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

Pretty CLOSE, maybe more around $40,000 and 3 yrs ;)

16. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

see, its statements like this that shows me you have issues. YOU posted wanting help, got very sound advice, but come up with more "issues" which to me is just you being you, stirring the pot.

17. DavidB

DavidB Member

Russ i just wanted to see if he would bite and he did. Just shows me his character and he is just playing and wasting our time.

18. nibjones

I think someone is building his post count.

19. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

Instead of arguing my case on hrs and prices ,I was pretty much agreeing since everybody was turning it upside down.

20. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I can forsee AFWS giving business advice in 8-12 weeks....watch & see :)