1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

altering bear form

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by russ, Aug 21, 2009.

1. russ

russ New Member

Doing a lifesize black bear. If I shorten the form 3 inches will I gain 3 inches in width or something less. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance Russ

2. ed150

ed150 deer city time

best advice i can give is start altering then fit then alter then fit,good luck

3. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

you might not "gain" 3" in girth, its still the same girth as when you bought the form. If you need that added girth for it to fit, 1 of 2 things is happening, your either stretching your hide to much in one direction, or you need to split it and ADD foam to make it girthier. I just did my first lifesize bear, and the form alterations were foreign to me, i have NEVER had to do so much altering to get the look i wanted. When all was said and done, i had the thing in 6 peices, all 4 legs were changed, the body altered and the head was off for a neck alteration as well. I didnt change the pose persay, because i put it back in the original pose, but its definitely NOT the same form i bought LOL.

4. Does the bear fit the length of the mannikin as it is? If so I would reduce the girth. I have also found that when you need a few inches more stretch, once the skin is on the mannikin use a 2x4 or something similar, use it as a sort of pry bar. Place one end down along the skin and lever the other end against the mannikin, this will help stretch the skin in width and sometimes makes a huge difference. If the bear is too long then definetly take out the 3 inches. Back to your original question, yes reducing the length will help with the girth but may also present other problems when aligning the skin and smoothing wrinkles. Keep stretching the skin for girth and you may be surprised at the results.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,148325.0.html