1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pot Belly Pig Skull 8/21/ Defeat On 10/14 But Cyclone Saves The Day With Iron Out!

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Sea Wolf, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Bought this critter online. Seems to be an older boar. Initially, I expected a raw, frozen head to work on but the seller decided to rot stuff off and ended up burying it. This now has been soaking for over a week in heated Dawn and water. Some grease is gone but the brown stains are remaining. Not sure what type of dirt it was buried in. Headed off to the store now to invest in a few gallons of ammonia to try that for another week or so before I soak it in peroxide. I suppose I can live with the color if I can't get it out but the grease has got to go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  2. Re: Skull of the week (in progress) Pot Belly pig

NICE! I just bought me one of those... Very cool little pigs.

Should whiten up quite a bit... Nice tusks on that bugger too!

3. Re: Skull of the week (in progress) Pot Belly pig 8/21/09

Dang I want one, what did that set ya back?

4. Re: Skull of the week (in progress) Pot Belly pig 8/21/09

Well I know at the stock yard(too far away to go often), I've seen live ones go for $2-$20...

5. Sea Wolf

Re: Skull of the week (in progress) Pot Belly pig 8/21/09

Yeah. Paid a little more for the dead one though. That's a fair price actually. The skull was a bit smaller than I expected but I've never seen a live one before to judge. No livestock auctions close to here or I would be specimen hunting on a regular basis to sell on here. :)

6. Re: Skull of the week (in progress) Pot Belly pig 8/21/09

I would too.... Get some NICE rams and other oddball critters.... $5-$25 a head... not bad at all... If it wasn't a 100+ mile drive to the auction yard on a monday morning.... We used to have one in town but it shut down... not enough consigners. I paid more than that for mine too.... But its already skinned and I don't have to give the carcass to someone for yote bait...

7. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

SeaWolf

Put that skull in about 4 gallons of water/dawn with a fish tank heater and add about 1 - 1.5 cups B.O in with it. Let it set for atleast 24 hours and than change back to dawn water. You can leave it for 2 days if you want but it should really help with the whitening.

8. Sea Wolf

Yup. Been there, done that .. and doing it now. :) Whitening I'm not so concerned with as getting all the grease out of it which has pretty well soaked into it all over while it was buried. It wasn't simmered so it should come out in time.

9. ReporterSr

ReporterSr If you think education is expensive, try ignorance

I've grown very fond of a pot belllied pig named Charlotte. Her best friend, Mahsha, a domestic pig, is huge in comparison, and I love her, too. They were both pets before a friend with a ranch took them in, so they are playful and fun. Judging from Charlotte's size, the skull would be quite small in comparison, probably surprisingly so. Their huge bellies throw us off on their skeletal build.

10. Re: Skull of the week (in progress) Pot Belly pig 8/21/09

Reminds me of a warthog skull, very differant than the wild boar hogs we have here in the south.

11. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

Acetone will get the grease out. Just make sure to put it in some dawn water for a few days with no BO and than 24 hours in clean water. Let dry for a week and than in acetone.

12. Sea Wolf

Re: Skull of the week (in progress) Pot Belly pig 8/21/09 Update 9/24

Been in and out of degreaser and peroxide now several times. It appears to be badly mineral stained :-\ Not sure if I can learn to love the color or not. It's going into one more degreasing treatment for a while and then into acetone. Just to make sure that it isn't grease. It has also sat in straight ammonia for several weeks. This seemed to darken the orange color. Too bad it was allowed to rot on the ground instead of getting a fresh head like I had hoped for.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right click / View image for detail on all

After one more turn with Dawn and then the acetone, finishing with peroxide, I'll give up. Right now it is also soaking wet. Once it is dry it should lighten some. Also considering burying it in wet tea leaves for a month or two. ;)

13. Sea Wolf

Re: Skull of the week Pot Belly pig 8/21/09 Defeat on 10/14

Sadly, this is one weirdy that I wanted. I now have one, but, due to unknown circumstances, it seems to be badly and permanently stained. I've given up and been completely stymied by this. Nothing has budged the brown/orange stains. I don't want to paint it either. Still, I'll share pics of it finished. Bugger. Hmmm .. if anything, the ammonia soak intensified the color. It may have reacted with whatever caused the stain to begin with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Re: Skull of the week Pot Belly pig 8/21/09 Defeat on 10/14

Hey, its better to have that than have ONE small spot that is that color. Does kinda look neat like that.

15. AH7

AH7 New Member

Looks like iron staining. Have we figured out a way to get the rust out? I seem to remember having hear of one. (No I'm not the guy that brought up CLR as an option!) However, if it is the tannins from foliage, I don't think there is a way to get that out - like tea staining. Actually, if you did want to even the color up (if the spots end up driving you crazy), putting it in a bucket with a tea bag will make it a nice dark color that almost certainly will conceal those spots.

16. Sea Wolf

I have actually been thinking of doing that. Tea, coffee or oak leaves. This is a first time for me with something like this. Right now, it's on the coffee table for me to growl at. I probably won't have much of a chance at another and I don't want to go off the wall and experiment with it. Still, at least I have one. :) But I do admit defeat for now.

17. Judysan

Judysan The Roadkill Queen

Try soaking in rust remover. Couldn't hurt.

18. AH7

AH7 New Member

SW - Don't put the pig in the tea first! You have a ton of skulls, and I'm sure you have at least one that you can experiment with! Get a bucket, get a tea bag and dunk a raccoon or something for a while. I did a couple like this and was really impressed - it gives them a really cool look, but don't take my word for it. And keep in mind that I am not big on the ultra-white look and in fact I tend to skip the whitening phase with most of my skulls.

19. Re: Skull of the week Pot Belly pig 8/21/09 Defeat on 10/14

i was just thinking the same thing, i would experiment first but thats just me. i personally think that the pig looks pretty neat like it is, but just my humble opinion.

20. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Try a solution of Super Iron Out....Use a test skull at first, looks like your pig might be a good test...

Your staining looks more like tannins from the decaying soil..