1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pot Belly Pig Skull 8/21/ Defeat On 10/14 But Cyclone Saves The Day With Iron Out!

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Sea Wolf, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Re: Skull of the week Pot Belly pig 8/21/09 Defeat on 10/14

Oh, I've done the tea and coffee bit before. I have tons of black, loose tea too. Trouble is, the color is not the same. This is more of an orange shade. Cyclone, I'll see about finding some Iron Out. I just have a concern of bone damage. I'll round up a test skull and see what happens with a soak. I did seal the pig skull but it's easily removed with straight acetone. It's definitely not grease. Matter of fact, it seemed to react with the ammonia and got darker. Wasn't an effect I was expecting.

2. Sea Wolf

Re: SOTW Pot Belly pig 8/21/ Defeat on 10/14 BUT CYCLONE SAVES THE DAY 10/20!

OK, Cyclone, firstly I have to credit you with saving this. I did go and find the "Iron Out" at the local hardware store. There was another iron remover that looked nasty and I avoided that. I guessed at a mix and made up some with hot water and tossed in the skull. What did I have to lose? Within a few minutes, I started to see a color shift in the stains. In a few hours, I'll be damned if the skull wasn't almost a bone color white. I rinsed it well in several water changes and let it dry. A few small areas had very faint stains but it was more than good enough for me.

Now ... here's the mystery. Cyclone, can you solve this? The skull was dry and almost all white. For a touch up, I put it into peroxide overnight to accent the white. When I pulled it out the next afternoon, ALL of the dark orange stains had returned??????? And I mean just like before! ... Ever heard of the water to wine .. back to water trick? This is what it seemed like. I growled and made up another pan of the Iron Out. I soaked the skull again, and again the stains vanished (mostly). The skull is now drying, pics below, and I will seal it as is when it is dry and I have reglued all the teeth again. No more peroxide. I'm leaving it as is and will see what happens in time. Do you have any idea what hapened with the peroxide to make the stains return? ... and then vanish again with the Iron Out? Obviously, something is still in the bone to react.

Anywho, thanks Cyclone for your suggestion. ;D

The bone is still a bit wet in these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bone here is not as discolored as it seems. Tweaked the picture to kill the flash and it affected the color

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Mr Clean likes this.

3. Re: SOTW Pot Belly pig 8/21/ Defeat on 10/14 BUT CYCLONE SAVES THE DAY 10/20!

Dang, thats a complete turn around, looks real good

4. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Sounds like an oxidation/reduction reaction..Oxidizing conditions bring the stains back, reduction makes them go away...

But please be aware that I'm not sure about the long term effects of the chemicals in the Iron Out on the bone...Time will tell..

One can still see the residual stains on the skull...time might just find those oxidizing naturally...stain returns..

5. Sea Wolf

Yeah. But for now, for the most part, they are gone. It will be sealed in paraloid which should stabilize it anyway. Thanks again for the suggestion. Whatever is in there that is causing the stain ... I'm pretty sure is still in the bone. As you said, time will tell. :)

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Sea Wolf, do you have high iron content in your water? Are you on well water? Is your washing machine red inside the drum?

7. Sea Wolf

Nope nope and nope. As I posted in the original thread, the person I got this from, instead of sending me a frozen head (which I would have preferred to buy) decided to rot off the flesh. I assume that it had some earth from the area tossed on it, or something. When I got it, it didn't smell bad, but was badly stained. It stayed that way until Cyclone's Iron Out trick. So far the bone also seems none the worse for wear.

8. cyclone

After a little more research on the ingredients in Iron Out I can give an educated guess that it is indeed an oxidation/reduction reaction occurring.

Let me know if the color re-appears. I've got a few more tricks that might just keep it from recurring.

The bill is in the mail... ;)

or in the ever so popular words of MP...."Can I have it?" ;D

9. Sea Wolf

As an update, skull now has been sitting for almost a year. Iron stains are barely noticeable so I would say that they have not returned. Sealing the skull with paraloid may also have helped with this as it would have also killed any air contact. Skull was completely dipped in paraloid to seal it on all surfaces inside and out.

THANK YOU CYCLONE !!! THANK YOU CYCLONE !!! THANK YOU CYCLONE !!! THANK YOU CYCLONE !!! THANK YOU CYCLONE !!!

10. Re: SOTW Pot Belly pig 8/21/ Defeat on 10/14 BUT CYCLONE SAVES THE DAY 10/20!

Thanks for bumping this one SW, very interesting! I'd have had some words with that eBay seller if a frozen head was promised...

11. Re: SOTW Pot Belly pig 8/21/ Defeat on 10/14 BUT CYCLONE SAVES THE DAY 10/20!

Kewl. Can I have it?

12. cyclone

Glad that it is holding up...good to see you back woofie.. ;)

But remember, we never determined if the stains were iron or not....could have been organic tannins from the leaves and soil..or a combination thereof...

13. Sea Wolf

Isn't that MP's line? :) .... Nope. Saw one on here a long time ago and decided that I wanted one too. Keep looking though. :)

My first thought was tannins but even real strong peroxide didn't touch them. Would not have peroxide altered the stains? Regardless, it is still a kitchen table ornament and looks great with your help.

14. cyclone

Remember now, oxidation/reduction reaction...peroxide is an oxidizing reagent, iron out contains a reduction reagent...

15. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Mia moglie non ha mai bisogno di loro ridotta, e non ho mai lasciarli ruggine su entrambi.

16. Re: SOTW Pot Belly pig 8/21/ Defeat on 10/14 BUT CYCLONE SAVES THE DAY 10/20!

Not a simple solution! Interesting to read I hope it helps

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/natsci/vertpaleo/aucilla11_1/iron.htm

17. Sea Wolf

Fixed the pictures if anyone is interested.

18. Sea Wolf

Fixed pictures again. Seems that postimage.org has now changed to postimage.cc. Easy enough to go back and edit and just replace the .org with .cc instead.

19. RBlack

RBlack Member

Still a great piece!!

20. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Occasionally some of my brain surgeon customers put deer skull in fire ant mounts to clean them. The ants will get the meat off if the critters don't take the skull off beforehand. However, in southern red soils, the skulls will be red, from minerals in the soil. It's a bitch to get them white. I'm gonna try the iron out on the next one i receive. Thanks for updating the post...9 years later!