1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Whats the strangest thing you've ever taxidermied?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by hidey, Aug 21, 2009.

1. hidey

hidey New Member

Ive had people call me about doing thier pets and stuff like that. I also did a wolf bag with glowing eyes,but i once had someone call about preserving horse hooves so she could use them in demonstrstions.Whats the wierdest things you guys have seen?

2. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

A life size gopher.. Ill admit was BIG for a gopher...full habitat and display case. LOL

3. moongast01

moongast01 My first love is God my second is My Wife....

Full coon skin Purses and I tanned a house cat skin for a person.

4. hidey

hidey New Member

Russ, i just checked out your website and emailed you for a price list. Kool on the purses, i was gonna take a stab at some pillows with a fox or a coon.

5. A big hampster. My sister was babysitting the pets of her friends while she went on vacation, and this gal's daughter had a big hampster. My sister's dog got it..... I mounted it like it was sleeping and the kid never knew.

6. gab

gab Active Member

nutria,vizcacha,capybara

7. Not really mounts - but I did a pair of bookends made from the back paws of a black bear. That looked pretty neat. Wish I had a photo. Then I made a muzzle loader possibles bag from a moose beard (or whatever you call it).

Bruce

8. ed150

ed150 deer city time

dang monkey

9. Mason

Mason Active Member

Aint been at it long. But I spose it would have to be a house mouse. Sure was hard to skin!
    Must of looked ok, the house cat got ahold of it 2 years later and had a ball with it :D

10. RumRunner

RumRunner Nicholas Dugas, (337) 205-1269

thinking about shooting my neighbors cat and doing that

11. Had a call from a gal that wanted her grandmother done. She even told me she had blue eyes. She wanted a price and wanted to know if it was legal. I still keep the phone message on my recorder.

12. pit bull !!! the guy put sing in front of it. I shot the dog for barking what will happen to you if you piss me off LOL from ken

13. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

Tanned a whitetail scrotum, guy said he was making a coin purse.

14. Galen

Galen 218-263-7177 www.EdgewaterTaxidermy.com

Well I have done house cats small dogs as well as a dog that was 44 pounds . I have done Iguanas other little lizards a few Tarantula’s.

But the STREANGEST thing That I have EVER got a CALL on was a Persons HAND .

YES you saw it right. A Persons HAND. another taxidermist called me up and he new I had a Freeze-dry machine . He called me up and asked if I could give HIM a Hand with a Hand . LOL LOL LOL LOL. it was a interesting conversation on the phone is all I have to say . But anyway.
    I told him that I did not even think that it was legal to do . So he was going to check into it and all that , He never ended up having me do the hand . I don’t think I would of done it anyway. Even if it WAS legal to do.

I really don’t know how to prove if it was the guys hand that asked him to preserve it He said the Customer walked in to his shop missing a Hand and then showed him the one in the box . So I guess it could of been his hand .,,,,,, or maybe it was the hand of the guy that took HIS hand . LOL. You just never know now days,,,, well anyway I did NOT do it any way . But I have to say it was the STRANGEST thing I was EVER asked about .
    I cant even imagine if it was legal and all that to really freeze-dry someone’s HAND . I don’t think I could Charge enough for all the Help I would need after it left my shop .. LOL I still don’t think I would of done it any way . Just to strange <<<<

15. hidey

hidey New Member

You guys are funny!LOL!!!

16. hidey

hidey New Member

Hamsters and bear paws thats pretty neat you guys! glad i started this topic its been real interesting. I cant believe that kid never knew about the hamster!LOL

17. hidey

hidey New Member

ok the hand is a little creepy im not sure i wouldve done it either!!

18. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

So, if it had been legal, you wouldn't have taken the hand job?

19. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I took in a Pomeranian dog about a month ago to do, had a guy call on a Rotweiller about 3 months ago & when I quoted him $5,500 for a skin mount I thought he was having a heart attack :)

20. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

LOL I have lucked out so far and been able to talk everyone out of pet mounts.. I dread the day when someone actually is willing to pay the amount..