1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lets try this again!!! Smallmouth Mount & Paint Job

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by barnabus, Aug 21, 2009.

1. I wouldn't call myself a CPR junkie but because of those junkies you speak of my business grew 40% last year. It is the way of the future whether you like it or not.
    I hang around that website and most of them know what I do for a living and they don't have a problem with me. That is typical Barnabus. He got everything he deserved. You don't join a forum that promotes catch and release and then show a picture of a skin mount and not expect retaliation. Every comment made was in a professional manner, except Barnabus'
    A bunch of those guys are from around the Susquehanna River(main branch) which is in dire straits because of the survival rates of young SMB in the past 5-7 years has been almost zero. There are many factors playing into the mortality rate of young fish. If the fisherman don't do something to help mother nature out, the main branch of the Susquehanna will never return to what it once was, a world class small mouth fishery.
    I live on the North Branch and we haven't seen the issues that they do south of us.(yet)

2. Meh....... I practice responsible harvest.... but my view changed a bit when a friends tires got slashed in the lot because he kept a legal musky. And a Die hard CPR bass fisherman reached in my cooler to throw a legal bass I caught back (By the way it resulted in a black eye for the person who reached in my cooler).
    That bad fanatic behavior That is now quite common in my region is making me not like the CPR nuts as much as I probably could.
    I have many customers who have wanted to bring me a bass to mount or a musky but are "Afraid" to keep one in case people find out.
    It gets ridiculous.

My view is be responsible. dont keep everything you catch, but people jumpin on a man for harvasting a legal fish gets me a tad annoyed.

I say good for Barnabus for standing up for his legal right. A legal right that is the basis for our business.
    But that is a discussion for another topic.

All that aside If the current debate is basically insinuating that Barnabus is an obnoxious loud mouth who thinks he knows everything well then I say. Welcome aboard! The more the merrier, you should fit right in.

LOL

Hmmmmmm..................................................................oh oh!
    :eek:
    [​IMG]
    ITS ALIVE!

3. LionHeart

LionHeart New Member

My thoughts exactly, even here in Canada, these CPR fanatics are really starting to irritate me the way they try to make you feel if you keep a fish, it is getting ridiculous big time ::). I also say good for Barnabus, his fish look good and he is happy with it, and by the way, contrary to some believes, a fish doesn't need to be a huge lunker to make it worth being in a competition or even win an award at a taxidermy show.

4. Again Im not saying CPR is bad, it has its place and time, and should be practiced BUT.......Its not a religion!
    And some guys take it WAY TOO FAR!

I live on a lake that is 50 miles long and 15 miles wide and the DNR is freaking out because its being over run by bass. So many bass they are being stunted.
    Yet they cant get the public to harvest them at all. It is too the point where the DNR may have to net and cull to save the forage base of the lake.
    Bass fishing organizations are up in Arms over this, they simply refuse to listen to the biologists.

My view on bodys of water in danger of losing the game fish base is really simple.
    If you consider yourself a conversationalist for the species the you should stop fishing for that species on that body of water period! at least for a few years.
    There is a very high mortality rate that goes with any type of fishing even CPR.

As with every situation you need to look into WHO is pushing for what regulations. Then do a bit of digging into what they have to gain by promoting and lobbying for them.
    Many times in many bodys of water you will find that its not the interest of the species, but the interest in the $$ that some gain from the regulation.

I trust the biologists before I trust the fishermen.
    Selective harvest is a wise way to go, that may mean selectively choosing to keep one fish out of every 200 you catch, but it shouldn't be criticized when done legally.

It may be different in different states and in local cultures, but in my region its getting insane. Regularly you are hearing about fights and acts of vengeance in this matter.

5. KAMoHunter

KAMoHunter Proud member of the WVTA

thus whole catch and release thing is the greatest thing ever and its also the biggest crock of crap ever. i agree josh that taking a good legal fish occasionally shouldn't be an issue at all. however it seems that people in a given area are either all about it or all against it. i was in a certain area of wisconsin last year and if you caught a pike or musky there you would have been hung for turning it loose. come back home and you'll get hung here for keeping the durn thing. its has its advantages and disadvantages but all in all i think its a great concept. i just dont get bent out of shape about it for two reasons. first... i love to eat different types of fish... second... is that c&R is turnig good honest outdoorsmen into regular old fashion PETA followers.

6. KAMoHunter

also josh alot of people dont unerstand the cincept of "K", better know as a carrying capacity. one are can only support and hold so much life and both humans and wildllife fall into that, poeple want to bitch about the keeping but could care less about the natural starving and suffering that occurs when it goes to far... and in most cases when it gets to that starvation and destruction level.. they immediately look to blam ethe state agency for not doing a good job when in all actuality it was their ignorance that caused the problem. for a state agency its a lose lose situation if you ask me.

7. I hear ya. I know a few spots in Wisconsin where they will hang you for releasing a pike, but hang you for keeping a walleye.
    lol
    Its fanaticism thats the problem.
    If people did any research on fish or ever spoke to a fisheries biologist on the subject you would see that the middle ground is the way to go.
    Some lakes need a harvest and some should be closed......... its varies body by body.
    I have some lakes where I will go out and keep a limit of Bass and not bat an eye, and some where every one unless it is harsh hooked gets released.
    Its all about being responsible.
    The misconception is that a big trophy fish equals an efficient breeder. And its simply not founded. In many cases the larger fish will stop breeding although they still may be able to.
    Another one locally by me is panfish. Now there is a Huge push to release panfish like mad, and only keep a few. Thats fine, but they tend to keep the Males off of the beds and let the big fat females go because and a quote "They are full of babys" sigh...................... A male bluegill will spawn with up to 10 females while on a nest, the male guards that nest until the fry disperse.
    it is in fact far more responsible to harvest a few females even if they are full of Eggs (not babys lol) then to harvest a guardian male that will protect the young.
    Many of the fishermen are completely uneducated with the simple process of reproduction let alone fishery management.
    I do see the fanatical mentality that is shared by groups like PETA and it makes me nervous.
    Like everything else in our society the middle ground is gone. Only Black or White

8. Manny

Manny New Member

Ok people, my first thought was to go to Wisconsin on vacation....... I was wanting to load up on panfish and smaller bass to eat.

But with SOME cpr nuts up there, now Im having second thoughts :-\

9. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

Super move Josh! . An abrupt diversion to C&R might make this a record-length thread! Awesome!
    "It is the way of the future whether you like it or not." Wow! What other directives about what you know and we don't like that you'd like to dictate? [​IMG]

10. KAMoHunter

its an even worse idea in panfish josh. they will get very competitive over breeding and basically what ends up happening is they start to breed at a younger age. there is an actual term for it and dont remember what it is.... but when you see a pond that has a massive abundance of extremely small panfish. its just about a good bet that this is what has happenened. most just say oh how cute, look at the baby's.... ot true that start to get stunted. and thats the down fall to it. not saying it can't be done or shouldn't be done in panfish, but if your not careful it can't get out of hand in a matterof just a year or two.

11. Ahh come up here anyway.
    Just ignore them, if they give ya crap pop um in the eye.
    haha
    Im sure it will be ok. Depending on where you fish The bass will be no issue, I wouldn't eat a ton of fish out of Green Bay if you are heading there. They do have an advisory of one meal a month on bass and larger game fish from the bay. The inland lakes are much better for food.
    Green Bay is a Shipping hub for the great lakes.
    The further south you go in WI the more issues with Bass. Musky will get you dirty looks anywhere.

Perca...........
    I had to! ;D

12. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

As long as you don't touch the sacred muskeys, you shouldn't have any trouble lol.

Like most things, you have a few vocal , high profile people pushing for C & R and some followers who do whatever they say.

Most people won't bother you.

Do what I do, fish rivers----very little if any fishing pressure.

13. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

Hey Aaron. Don't your rivers get a lot of fly fishing pressure? Our rivers do here in MI. I never could figure out why fly fishermen pose for a photo while holding their catch by the tail. Don't they know that's an easy way to lose their fish? ;)

14. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

Some rivers do get a lot of fishing pressure, but not any in our area. Most of the rivers I fish are walleye/pike/smallmouth/catfish rivers. Some of the stretches I fish are somewhat remote and hard to get to, they rarely if ever see any fisherman.