1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Striped Marlin Differences???

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by FishArt, Sep 18, 2006.

1. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I've got a potential customer that wants one of those half (head) mounts of a Striped Marlin. I wish to purchase the blank from New Wave, but they have only have one Striped Marlin blank available and it's a bit big. (Not sure THAT'S even going to matter though. Customer's fish was about 100" and the blank New Wave has is 114" and remember, he only wants the head???) I'm not real well versed in the anatomical differences between any of the marlins. Are some of the other, more abundant blank/species similar enough to use instead of a Striped?

Thanks ahead of time for any help...

2. den007

den007 Active Member

Dear Marty...........McGinnity's has a pretty good range of white marlin and will do head mounts. They are also good to work with as far as cutting shipping costs any way they can. New Wave has some of the best saltwater replicas though, and if your match is that close.....who would complain? That Bryan fellow who is always on the forums probably has something as well. Of course, you can surely get one one from Global! NOT.

3. Bruce Foster

Bruce Foster Guest

Marty.......you can easily use a small Blue Marlin mold and adjust the paint schedual....Striped Marlin like Blue Marlin carry a pointed dorsal fin.....while a White Marlins is rounded......the world record Striped Marlin is 492 lbs., and was caught off of New Zealand........most likely, the fish you are talking about was taken on the Pacific coast of California......Striped marlin are leaner in girth than a Blue Marlin, so ordering a thinner Blue would fit the bill.....IMO, McGinnity's blanks are detailless, with a very large amount of them being second casts off of blanks bought when Cairn's Slimmer died years ago..there are far better blanks on the market.....find a Blue Marlin of equal lenght, and adjust the paint job

4. makoman

makoman Member

Sorry Bruce ,but striped marlin don't(having moulded and mounted 100's of them) have a pointed dorsal and to use a small blue would be wrong as there are a great many differences between the blue and striped marlin,scale pattern,bill,texture on gill plate ,the area under the lower jaw way different, about the only thing the same is the colour although when the blue is stressed the flanks are more copper bronze,
    Cheers Kevin
    Art of Fish
    NewZealand

5. Bruce Foster

Bruce Foster Guest

Kevin......with all due respect, and not to question your knowledge, BUT......we are talking most likely about a Striped Marlin caught off the California coast......if I am wrong, I stand corrected......they do not, nor ever will meet the weight class of your Striped Marlin even though they are the same species...and with that, I stand my ground!......the suttle differances would in no way deter an accurate repo of a 114" Striped Marlin from using a small Blue as a substitute....my guess, is the live weight was 115-135 lbs.......even though, your differances are noted, only a very knowledgable person would question those differances.....and if you have molded hundreds of them, than you would know, that a Striped Marlin DOES have a pointed dorsal fin!.......proof is below......thanks for the reply, and no hard feelings

Nairagi (Tetrapturus audax) is commonly known as striped marlin, barred marlin, and a`u, the Hawaiian name applied to all marlin species caught in Hawaii. Nairagi are usually between 40 and 100 pounds in round weight and are rarely over 130 pounds. In the marlin family, the nairagi has the slenderest bill and the most visible "stripes". Although distinct when first taken from the water, the vertical stripes fade. Other distinguishing characteristics of this species are the high, pointed dorsal fin (higher than the greatest depth of the body) and more compressed sides than other species of marlin.

top two photo's are a Striped Marlin, bottom photo a Blue Marlin

6. makoman

makoman Member

Yes Bruce ,our stripes are way bigger ,but the dorsals are different ,I just took these pic's off 2 moulds 1 a blue ,2 a stripey both of the same size at 140kg,I did the mount of the biggest striped marlin ever caught on rod and reel what a monster at 243kg,
    Cheers Kevin

7. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Well thanks guys for thoroughly confusing the heck out of me - lol!

At this point, I think I'll quote my cost using the 114" blank just to get some numbers in front of this guys face. He's a repeat customer that owns a restaurant so I don't think sticker shock will be a problem. But who knows with customers? I'm not going to spend too much time at this point trying to figure out what to do. I appreciate everybody's help and once the check comes in and clears you may see another post! Thanks!