1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Thanks Marty and Shelby.....

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by *, Aug 22, 2009.

1. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

I just got back from North Carolina, 1950 miles round trip DRIVING :mad: :mad:
    I spent last weekend with Marty at his shop to do a LITTLE WORK and Training with him and he had Shelby from PLtannry there also
    SHE was a god send and this little girl can work, if you EVER need a prep person or sewing machine she IS all that and more
    I would hire her at my shop in a MINUTE.

ANYWAY, I enjoyed my time with them immensely.
    I worked with Marty on face claying African and North American, prep of forms and ALERATIONS, shoulders and lifeisze, and fitting BAD SKINS,working with pain in the *ss old tans and new tans with NO STRETCH.
    How to read skins and make the manikin fit it and not the skin fit the mannakin from measurements and test fits.

We altered and mounted...in 5 days..

A lifeize 350lb+ bear very very altered

A lifesize baboon altered and opened it's mouth

A lifesize lynx, altered

Wall peds of a Kudu altered , a Warthog, an Impala altered , a Whitetail, a Muledeer, an Elk and a Full Pedestal CAPE BUFFALO

Maybe soon he'll post some pics. ;D ;D

2. Awesome! It would be cool to see some pictures!

3. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

he has been teasing us with pictures, but so far nothing has been "shown" cept for shelby with her head up that baboons butt ::) actually she was sewing on it LOL

4. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

Thanks Dennis. I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate everything. I enjoyed every minute of it, and learned a lot more than i thought possible in 5 days. It isn't often you find someone with your level of talent who is willing to share it with others. I have always admired your work, and now I have a great deal of respect for you as a person as well.

I agree about Shelby as well. WIsh I had someone like her to work with all the time.

5. Russ of V.O.W.T

well wheres the pictures then dude ;D you said earlier in the week FRIDAY ??? well its saturday here at my house, what day is it where you live :D ;D ::) ;)

6. antlerman

antlerman NTA Life Member #0118

I talked with Marty for a hour the other night on the phone after Dennis left. I guess they had a hell of a time. One month until my little foam flying party and I can't wait. I was told to stock up on the Mtn.Dew. That is not a problem. I have one fridge always stocked with the Dew. I drink the stuff like water myself. My ONLY concern is if I can get enuf geritol for my old geriatric ass to be able to keep up with THE MACHINE. Hey Shelbie; what ya doing the last week of Sept??? Wanna do it again?? LOL

7. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

I'll be there and can't wait it will be fun and educational, I'm really wondering how simular Dennis's and Ray's techniques are.

8. It was great fun working with the both of you! An incredible experience... Learned alot, remembered a few things I'd forgotten and a whole bunch more!

Antlerman.... Anything to hunt down there? Might be interested if theres a day or two of hunting involved....

9. Russ of V.O.W.T

Shelby, Illinois is KNOWN for big whitetails, BUT, they also have some of the dumbest regulations you will ever see. They have more bobcats that you can shake a stick at, and you CANT even kill one LOL I am sure Tim will let you know what hunting is possible while your there, but their regs are crazy. Hopefully someday i will get to see dennis in action, it looks like a real great time. ;D

10. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Shelby the only thing we will have open here in Illinois is dove, squirrel, skunk and coyote and of course fishing. LOL Whitetails don't come in until October 1st. ;D

Russ, at least our state lets us use electronic callers for deer! ;D

11. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Checks in the mail Russ ;D

12. antlerman

Shelby, if you want to stay an extra 4 days our bow season will open and I will be in the woods. The farms I hunt consist of about 5000 acres with plenty of mature bucks. Has been properly managed for about 10 years. So, if you bow hunt I can accomadate. If YOU can make the shot, we can close the deal.

13. jasonb

But Tim you might want to ad how much a non-res tag for a stinken whitetail is in Illinos. Non-res Elk tags in Montana are cheaper.LOL

14. antlerman

Non resident bow tags aren't that bad.

15. CJN

CJN Member

Non-Resident combo buck/doe tag is something like $400 plus hunting license 28.75 plus habitat stamp 5.50 I did not look up just a ballpark for archery non-resident :eek:

16. jasonb

and a combo Deer/Elk Non-res tag in Montana is $643.00