1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

wow, did I screw up

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by derhntr, Aug 22, 2009.

1. derhntr

derhntr Member

I feel like I know the answer to this question but I'm going to ask anyway.

Some how I got two capes mixed up this year, I mark all capes so not real sure how it happened. The two customers wouldn't even know the difference except they are friends and hunt together and took pictures of there deer and upon comparison they realized my screw up. There not to happy nor am I.

So the question is, can you rehydrate the skins to the point of removal without there being slippage.

These deer are finished and returned.
    My stomach is in knots over this, they were a referral from a very good customer, so anything and everything I can to to make it right I will.

Like I said, I feel I know the answer but just wanted to ask anyway in case there is some miracle out there.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

2. I have no experience with this, yet, and hope I don't...but if you tanned the capes, you should probably be able to rehydrate the head incisions enough to switch the antlers, I would think. Wet some towels and lay on the area you sewed, and bag for several hours, until you can remove the stitches, and trade them out. Sew up, groom, and redry. But you better get somebody else's opinion on this besides just mine...

Good luck!

3. derhntr

derhntr Member

That might work but two different forms

4. timberlandtaxidermy

timberlandtaxidermy Taxidermy Instructor NTA Certified Judge

If they're fresh mounts, you can probably rehydrate and swap capes.
    I would soak towels in water with a cap full of bacteriacide. (I use skin prep nbu)
    Wring them out and wrap the entire mounts. Cover the towels with plastic bags.
    It may take a few hours, or it may take a day. Depends on what glue you used etc.
    Check them often. When they're rehydrated, cut your stiches, take apart and put on the other form.
    You make have to "sponge off the excess glue on the capes or you'll have a real mess!
    Now you get to mount the two deer again! I would move swiftly.

Good luck!

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm ASSUMING that one mount is facing one way and the other, the opposite??? IF they are both the same way, wrap a WET towel (use WARM water and a cap full of Downey clothes softener) around the antlers and then cover it with plastic freezer wrap overnight. In the morning, rewet the towel and recover with the plastic again. Next day, split the seams, lift the antlers out and then swap them out.

6. derhntr

derhntr Member

Thanks for all the advice, looks like this is going to work out after all.
    There are three customers involed here, A, B and C. B and C are father and son and both had deer mounted by me this year. When customer A called I thought he was talking about the father's deer, he wasn't he was talking about the sons deer. Both are pedestal mounts, I just somehow got the racks wrong.
    So long story short all I need to do is switch the racks and everybody will be happy.

Still don't know how I managed this blunder but everybody will be happy in the long run.
    Thanks again

7. Glad to hear it's working out okay for you. :)

8. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

crap happens

9. derhntr

derhntr Member

yes it does

10. TIM DUNCAN

TIM DUNCAN surry county va

i have herd of it before but have not yet experienced it hey things happen there all happy in the end so i wouldn't sweat it

11. rebel

rebel New Member

i finally had it happen to me this year some how i got 2 deer mixed up and thank God one of them have huge mass compared to the other so telling them apart was no problem i probably would have never caught it if their tags on the rack would not have been different then what the horns were i skinned 10 deer out one night and these where the last two good thing i remembered skinning them out and the only reason i remembered was because i did not have a name to go with them