1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

pheasent waddle

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by ayhunter, Aug 23, 2009.

1. ayhunter

ayhunter New Member

S.C.
    Does the waddle need to be painted afterit is dry?

2. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

yes

3. ayhunter

ayhunter New Member

S.C.
    Thanks!

4. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

I know a guy that claims he does really nice Chicken Roosters, well he says he doesnt need to paint them but I am here to tell you the birds look like crap. They really do need to be painted.

5. AOTaxi

AOTaxi She's a keeper!

10-4 the wattles will fade over time, I have had many come in that I have had to paint because that original dermist did not paint them and they faded to a tan color. do it
    AO

6. nswiken

nswiken Well-Known Member

I haven't tried it, but a taxidermist once told me to use oil paint for the wattles. That the wattles wicked the paint nicely for good coverage without losing the texture and not covering the feather patterns found through the wattle. Any thoughts on type of paint?

7. Hoss0902

Hoss0902 I drink to make other people seem more interesting

I just normally airbrush them, but I will try the oils on my next one.

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Stay away from the oils or anything you brush on. It simply gums up the wattles (ducks waddle, pheasants have wattles). Use Gill Red in an airbrush and get in really close. Lacquer works best but it will paint the skin without gumming up the WATTLE feathers.

9. Hoss0902

What about thinning the paint and doing a wash, then layering it?

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Hoss, you can't thin syrup where it not sweet. No matter how "thin" you get the oils, they still have OIL in them. The acrylic paint will blow down through the feathers on the wattle and work (as long as you don't press down on them while the paint is wet) or the lacquer will dry almost on contact.

11. Hoss0902

Thanks George

12. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

gill red and then a light mist of orange....really gives it depth and a more natural fleshy look rather than straight red

13. bell4252

bell4252 New Member

I agree with Mr. George

14. SteveP

SteveP New Member

After the lacquers, touch up the feathers on and around the wattles with lacquer thinner and Q-tip and/or a small paint brush.

Byrdman, thanks for the tip for adding orange. I will be trying that.

15. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

I used to use oils loooong ago.....Now a days the oil tubes simply collect dust...... ;)