1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

toads

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by gus, Aug 23, 2009.

1. gus

gus New Member

I tried using the the search option and came up empty so I'm going to ask.
    This morning I found a dead gulf coast toad and decided to mount it.
    My question is what is the best way to mount a toad, from beginning to end.

Thanks.

2. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Freeze it for a little while. One of the members here, Tom Voyer has been filming DVDS with Joe Kullis Productions and they will be releasing a DVD with the instructions start to finish on critters like that I believe. I'm sure the videos will be released shortly and I know the quality will be phenomenal and will help you. Dan

3. Nope, sorry dan, no toads Lol They are a pain in the butt to do, and really not anything I would want to show on a video unless you wanted to see lots of vulgarity LOl I have mounted a few even some of the giant african ones, and I can tell you, unless you really know what you are doing GUS, do not even think about it. Even for their size, I would charge you 400.00 for it. Call Joe Kulis and have it freeze dried. Tell him I said to call. He would do a great job!!
    tom

4. gus

gus New Member

Thank you for the replies, this toad was just something to mess around with.
    One other thing I noticed about this toad is that it secreted a white milky substance
    from it head (ear area) it reminded me of a cane toad, not native to this area but are poisonous.
    I looked it up and got two different results: it is poisonous and it's not poisonous.
    Does any one out there know for sure.

Thanks.

5. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Gus

Gus, where are you located? In Arizona we have the Colorado Rivier Toad (people sniff those to get a high). Most toads have a defense mechanism where they excrete a mild toxin. What determines "venomous" ? In snakes we have a lot of species that are considered non-venomous but in fact inject a mild venom to subdue their prey. A lot of spiders are considered non-venomous but in fact inject venom to subdue their prey. So a lot of toads ARE VENOMOUS. Are they deadly ? :) Not in North America, but there are some in other countries.

I would wear latex gloves though, but I do on just about anything I skin.

Kerby...

6. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

Heck pose it freeze and cast it for a reproduction and paint. Ive been meaning to catch a frog and try that for a snake habitat scene

7. Kerby Ross

Jeremy

Jeremy, I'm going to do that as soon as it rains again. The Spadefoot toads will be everywhere. I'm going to get a huge one and make a silicone mold of it for reproduction. Will see how it turns out.

Kerby...

8. gus

gus New Member

I'm in San Antonio, also, when I squeezed the dead toad one of it glads shot at me like zit,
    it went over my head and don't remember ever moving so fast to duck it. :eek:

A while back I read an article about freezing live frogs and toad, molding 'em and setting them free.
    I'll have to look for that article.
    Kerby, I may just use silicone, I remember a tutorial along this line of molding.

Thanks you for all the responses and advice, I really appreciate it.

9. "Boy, don't you know these thangs give you warts?"

[​IMG]

10. jeremy

Gus personally i would go with Alginate to mold him since he frozen, it will set up quick before the specimen thaws and looses its pose.

11. Kerby Ross

You can also

You can also freeze the toad in the position you want and build a dam around him.....take him out, pour your GI 1100 and put it back in the freezer.

:)

Kerby...

12. jeremy

Ive got some of that but have not tried it yet, it sets up in the freezer okay?

13. Kerby Ross

Just....

Just takes awhile...but silicone likes moisture.

Kerby...

14. Hoss0902

Hoss0902 I drink to make other people seem more interesting

That is a good movie.

Delmar: Them syreens did this to Pete. They loved him up and turned him into a horny toad.

15. staffs-skeletons

staffs-skeletons www.skeletonsUK.com

UK
    I would cast it personally.

We used to catch them, kinda cloroform them (cant remember what was used), then cast with fast setting rubber (used by dentists to cast teeth).
    After a few minutes the frog or toad would wake up and could go free. We still have the moulds after 20 years and theyre great.