1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tanning !!!!

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Kerry, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Hi Guys

I need your help in what type of tanning oils to use after wet tanned. OK i use ez 100 for my wet tanning comes out nice. I need to know what type of tanning oils you guys find best. But what i need your help with is how to use them can someone tell me step by step on what to do to a skin after i have it wet tanned and drained. I have a 6' high tumbler and i know that you have to sweat it or something> Also hear other say you have to add hot water to tanning oils and other use a kettle and boil the oil before using and something about stretching the hide. I would greatly appreciate someone giving me a step by step on how to make a nice soft tan.

Thank You for your time.

Have a great day

Kerry :)

2. thanks Hudson

Do you sweat the hide over night ????

Thanks

3. anyone eles have a step by step for using tanning oil

Thanks

Kerry

4. still need info

5. I use the Rittles ProPlus Oil. Once you take skin out of EZ 100 let drain 30 minutes. Mix 1/2 oil and half hot tap water and brush on skin. Fold skin up flesh to flesh and store in a dry warm place to sweat for a couple of hours. If you are going to mount then get after it. if you are going to do a flat skin or rug then the work starts breaking and stretching the skin fibers. If I am making a rug or skin I will generally put a second coat of oil on.