1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

INCISION FOR DOE MOUNTS

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by MEDICMARIO, Jan 30, 2007.

1. MEDICMARIO

MEDICMARIO New Member

I AM NEW TO THE TAXIDERMY WORLD , DO YOU MAKE THE CUT DOWN THE NECK BETWEEN THE EARS 4 IN ?

2. Manny

Manny New Member

I have mounted a couple does and it seemed like i made an incision about 5 inches long between the ears down the back. But when i went to mount it I had to open it up a couple more inches to get it onto the mannikin.

3. tschuppan

tschuppan New Member

I recommend that you you make an incision one to get it on your form and 2 so you can work the ears and ear butts to get proper size and shape

4. MEDICMARIO

MEDICMARIO New Member

thanks for the info,,i have been having a ruff time getting the skin over the skull and im not real comfortable doing it from the jaw side this will help

5. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I never make an incision on my does.

6. DSalters

DSalters New Member

I sure do make an incision. I just split it all the way down the back like a buck. Sure, it's some extra sewing time that's not entirely necessary but when I salt the hides, they are layed flat and spread open. This way, I am assured there's salt on the whole hide rather than having a split hide with an uneven drying time (because one side will have to be on the bottom).

This is all just my preference and not at all necessary. I don't mind the sewing and feel more comfortable doing it this way.

7. Our does around here must have big heads and little necks because it is near impossible to put one together without making some kind of relief cut.