1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

cost.......

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by bmdakk, Aug 31, 2009.

1. I agree totally with John C.. Particular material costs will also depend on quantity vs. quality. Discounts may be found on bulk ordering but in my opinion that should not be factored in. If you are only doing one mount at a time it will not qualify for discounts. You need to choose what you are looking for in materials and open a supply catalog and add it up.

2. BigBore

BigBore New Member

If your in it to make a living I would agree with $150. But if you just do it as a hobby for yourself $75 is what it cost me to mount a deer. But like said you can pay for the cheap eyes or the expensive eyes, you can use Romans 555 for hide paste or Buckeye Supreme, you can tan your own hides or send them off. People can say one is better the the other but not all people agree. But one thing I think we can all agree on is weather it is $150 or $75 you spend on the material doesn't make the mount look good the taxidermist do.

3. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

Yes I believe the question was . Net cost. Not Gross cost. And If you order ahead. and order smart. It can be done for $50. a deer or less.

4. lookn4awhitetail

lookn4awhitetail "I shoot a Mathews, cause I dont wanna Hoyt them"

I still dont see how though..... Most manikins I use are sitting at about 40 bucks plus alone. So, I would like to see what you are putting together for 50 bucks solid out the door.

5. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

There is no such thing as "Net Cost" of mountin an anything. There is a bottem line and on average it costs between $150.00 and $200.00 just to get a deer head mounted and that price could be higher depending on your overhead.

6. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

I don't see 150-200 in a head not EVEN with overhead.

form $48
    eyes 15
    clay 4
    bondo 4
    glue 2
    thread .75
    Paint 1.00
    Tan @ home $8
    shipping less than $20

That is my raw supplies

Since I added the shop my electricity went up on avg $25 month.

so that is an additional 6.25 per deer head since I avg 1 a week

My shop was built inside an existing building so the footprint never changed so my property taxes for the house the shed ( with the shop inside) and 28 acres remained @ $75 a yr yes that's seventy five dollars.

insurance to cover the shop increaded my priemum $100 a yr. so that is another $9

So that is 118 with overhead in my shop in my shop so how they hell am I off by 300 dollars by john c's #'s???

7. PacWest

PacWest Active Member

What is so funny about that Michael P? Everyone knows you can get old ping pong balls for cheap and cut them in half, and draw pupils on them. My eyes only cost me 10 cents. IF anyone is interested, I am doing wholesale eyes now. ;)

8. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    harley - you pretty much got it nailed down except for the tanning part if you send it out figure about $40 plus shipping. i know you do it at home so you figure that your working on it more time involved.

9. BigBore

BigBore New Member

Harley is still saving money tanning at home.

10. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    yeah your still saving money, but how much is it really costing you with the time involved tanning, shaving, etc.

11. As most have already stated around 150.00 maybe a little more or little less but that is a good ball park number for raw cost of material

12. BigBore

BigBore New Member

You talk about TIME it's a lot faster to tan, shave, etc. than sending them off. So your getting the mount out the door and getting paid faster.

13. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

I don't know if Harley uses an auto-tanner. But in the time it takes you to flesh and salt. I can have it tanned and ready to mount. With my auto-tanner. For $2.00 you spend about that on salt.

14. KAMoHunter

KAMoHunter Proud member of the WVTA

i have an auto tanner too Kevin,and yes you can tan one in about 4 hours not counting the skinning and fleshing, but if you take the water, electricity, knifes, tanning materials, hide oil, soaps to wash them out, conditioner for the hair so it isn't brittle, you are WAYYYYY over $2.00 per hide. not to mention that until your tanner is payed off you have to add that price into each hide as well the amount that you are gonna have to pay to buy either a mini flesher or a real flesher. you are probably close to $15.00. yes thats cheaper and faster but $2 is just not even possible.

15. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

Well my tanner and flesher are 4 years old. Paid for many times over. Electric. Pennies. Blade one a year. $45.

1 hour to rough flesh.In tanner for 1.5 hours 1 hour to flesh. back in tanner.You can't count the time it is in the tanner. I am doing other things.

50 cents for tanning crystals. $1 for oil. What ? 25 cents for Dawn to was it.

Tanning crystals. $50 for 100 lbs. from Van Dykes. Free shipping. Bought 200 lbs. Don't use conditioner.

Just because you pay more. Does not mean it is better.

16. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    lol. now guys, do i have to bring hudson in here to tell you about the different qualities of tanning out there?

now if you're only paying yourself $10/hr to do taxidermy, then yes i guess you are saving money to do the tanning at home. If your paying yourself $30/hr or more i would suggest to send out your capes to be tanned professionally. Unlesss you happen to have alot of time on your hands.

Now tell me this, what's going to happen if someone decides to bring you a lifesize bear thats about 500lbs or more, a bison shouldermount, or a moose? ....................... let me know how that goes for you guys. LMAO :D

17. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

some people just need to take a buisness and or accounting class!

18. With shipping nowadays your talking 10 bucks each way. 60 dollars to have someone else do it. Plus you still have a little final fleshing to do so add 15 more minutes to your total. 30 an hour and you have at least another 7.50. $67.50 for tanning till it's all said and done. Thats 2 1/2 hours at $30 an hour. Does it really take you 2 hours to flesh a deer cape? I'm brand new at this and it doesn't take me that long. Now I'm not saying that one way any better than the other but like I said I'm brand new this year. I will have a little extra time on my hands. At least till I get swamped. Try to take into consideration turn around time and happy customers. If they get a quality mount back in 6 months they will be back. If it takes a year cause you sent it away he may be looking elsewhere. Not that a year is a long time, but if you can get your car fixed tomorrow as opposed to next week with the same results, wouldn't you want it done tomorrow? Hunters are a different breed. 1/2 of them want to know the turnaround time. Not that it is real important to us but the quicker they can get their trophy back the happier they are. They are ( most of them ) are caught up in the moment and can't wait till they see it on their wall. I guess the answer to the cost would be, $120 to $130. IMO!! For now I'm doing all my tanning in my shop.

19. BigBore

BigBore New Member

This was the Question "on average what does it cost to shoulder mount a whitetail, this will be cost of supplies only, ie... form, eyes, earliner , tan so on.... thanks". Don't think bears, bison, or a moose was in that.

20. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    true........but if you've been on the forums much you know how a posts on a topic can change throughout the thread.

If you really want to cry about specifics, why are we even getting into the types of tan used from krowtan, pressure tanning, etc?

The point of me throwing out the bigger game animals is, be careful in pricing those .......because its a LOT of WORK and MOST likely you will have to send off the big stuff...end result that is going to be a different pricing cause you guys won't be able to pressure tan or krowtan that stuff in an hour. :D